Sometimes I feel mean: cows don't always know best

More
17 years 1 month ago #9132 by Isla
I've just moved the cows with bull calves from a paddock next to the just-pregnant heifers, to one diagonally opposite them and they all stood at their gate waiting for the equivalent move. If you get too anthropomorphic about such animals, you'd feed them more than they need! The heifers are five pregnant (I'm pretty sure) and one empty two-year-olds and one R3 pregnant first-calver and they're all in great condition. If I moved them on quickly from paddock to paddock at this time of the year, they would soon become fat and I'd have to be too strict for their best health later in the year to try and pull them back for calving.

If you've pregnant heifers, don't give in to their pleading eyes if those eyes are bigger than the condition on their backs says they need to be!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #146815 by Brookdale

quote:Originally posted by Isla

I've just moved the cows with bull calves from a paddock next to the just-pregnant heifers, to one diagonally opposite them and they all stood at their gate waiting for the equivalent move. If you get too anthropomorphic about such animals, you'd feed them more than they need! The heifers are five pregnant (I'm pretty sure) and one empty two-year-olds and one R3 pregnant first-calver and they're all in great condition. If I moved them on quickly from paddock to paddock at this time of the year, they would soon become fat and I'd have to be too strict for their best health later in the year to try and pull them back for calving.

If you've pregnant heifers, don't give in to their pleading eyes if those eyes are bigger than the condition on their backs says they need to be!

A lot of it is habit too Isla don't you think, I can shift my sheep into a paddock one day and rattle the gate the next day and they race over ready to be shifted.... silly things they are..[:I]:D

More
17 years 1 month ago #146822 by Isla
These heifers are quite used to being visited without being shifted, so it was only that they wanted the same deal as their neighbours, I think. :)

More
17 years 1 month ago #146823 by beedee
Thats known as the herding instinct Isla... wots good for them is good for me tooooooo or is that moooooooo:D

More
17 years 1 month ago #146824 by beedee
Thats known as the herding instinct Isla... wots good for them is good for me tooooooo or is that moooooooo:D

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds