Will sheep nuts harm fowl?

More
17 years 1 month ago #9082 by moggy
We have a full bag of them that I doubt we will use. I don't want to waste them so was thinking of feeding them to the chickens and ducks. The chickens are not really laying at the moment, so I wouldn't doubt they would need the extra calcium in their layers pellets and the ducks are either male or too young to lay.
Obviously the size of the sheep nuts it too big, but it would easy to either to bash em with a rolling pin in a bag or add water to them to soften them and they could be fed 50/50 possibly.
So is there anything in them that would harm them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
17 years 1 month ago #145893 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Will sheep nuts harm fowl?
Chickens will eat anything they've pretty much eaten all types of animal feed with no ill effects. However if it was the other way round ie: sheep eating chook food that's not too good, although my sheep have managed to steal some chook food! But I think it because of whats in the feed itself.

• maggies mum
17 years 1 month ago #145894 by maggies mum
PS why cant you just feed to your sheep?

More
17 years 1 month ago #145898 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Will sheep nuts harm fowl?
we only have two left and they are rather fat and not destined for a very long life (as soon as there is enough space in the freezer) so, I don't really want to give them anything to bulk them up. We were going to keep sheep but have decided not to for the moment.

More
17 years 1 month ago #145900 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Will sheep nuts harm fowl?
The chooks will love them, especially if you soak them so they can peck them more easily. Chooks and ducks are omnivores and will eat anything!

The reason that ruminants should not eat chook food is that there is usually meat and bone meal in there as a protein source and feeding meat to ruminants is a no-no!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
17 years 1 month ago #145936 by moggy
well that is fine, sheep nuts for the chooks here we come, I just don't want to feed anything that would harm them.

More
17 years 1 month ago #145991 by Barronm
Replied by Barronm on topic Will sheep nuts harm fowl?
Hi, you can't feed chook-food (specifically grain) to ruminants because it basically ferments in their stomach causing a condition called acidosis which can be fatal. I learnt this the hard way when my pet sheep broke into some buckets of wheat and scoffed a whole lot, she was dead within 12 hours. Apparently a baking soda solution can help if they haven't eaten too much.

• maggies mum
17 years 1 month ago #145998 by maggies mum
Baking soda works for me when I've eaten too much! ;)

More
17 years 1 month ago #146017 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Will sheep nuts harm fowl?
The jolly chooks will eat just about anything! Especially if you don't want them to.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
17 years 1 month ago #146058 by Brookdale
Sheep Nuts.... aren't they mountain oysters??

More
17 years 1 month ago #146154 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Will sheep nuts harm fowl?
Are they using their flash new house or have they gone up the trees???

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
17 years 1 month ago #146160 by moggy
Well to begin with they were all in there, then there were just a couple. Rupert is usually in there, but I think it is because he can't fly very high to get into the trees. They may be in their house this evening as it is a little chill even here, but I thinking of putting a movable pen up to constrain them a little bit as it will make it a lot easier to find the eggs (we have had one egg so far yay!)

• maggies mum
17 years 1 month ago #146162 by maggies mum
The only way that sheep nuts would harm a chicken would be if the sheep sat on one!!!

• chooky
17 years 1 month ago #146181 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Will sheep nuts harm fowl?
Very good MM.:D We have a ram at our place for a visit from the neighbours who could be a hazard to passing chooks- specially in this wind we are getting here at the moment. He gets a real sway and swish going on !!:D[:0][:I][:I]

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds