Grazing animals on new block

More
3 months 1 week ago #559497 by Coobster
Hi All, Here to say hi and ask a question to hear your opinions.

My partner and I are looking at buying a 4Ha block in North Canterbury, we won't be looking to build on it right away. It is fully fenced, how easy is it to find someone who would like to graze some animals on it? We're not bothered about making any money from it, just so that we don't have to worry about the length of the grass on it.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #559498 by tonybaker
does it have water, will the fences keep stock from getting into neighbours property, does it have a loading race? Call your local farm store stock agent and ask if they know anyone. Horses can destroy pasture so go sheep or cattle. I started my block off by allowing a local butcher to graze his rams in return for free meat on Fridays! Worked well until some kind idiot decided to open the gate and let them into a neighbours prime breeding flock! Oh, and you probably should have a grazing agreement to protect you even though it is free, there are some online ones for $35, you might also consider getting some insurance too. Remember that animals only eat the good stuff so you will need to do the occasional mowing to keep it tidy.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 months 1 week ago #559499 by LongRidge
With the value of sheep and cattle at the moment, ask that fertilising, liming if needed, and weed control is maintained is lieu of payment. Also ensure that fence repair is specified.
When you have a grasier, you need to communicate when you are going to be there, and what you are going to do. I've had animals killed by the land owner doing things that I did not know were going to happen :-( .

More
3 months 1 week ago #559500 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Grazing animals on new block
Usually the neighbours are a good place to start looking for someone to lease it, especially if there's access from an adjoining property or one of the neighbours is a larger scale farmer. It's probably too small to be of much interest otherwise - at the least it would need a set of yards, decent fencing and reliable water and be good contour to be of use to anyone.  Avoid horses at all costs, they'll wreck it.

Could you cut a couple of crops of hay or silage off instead?

More
3 months 5 days ago #559503 by tonybaker
On reflection, your best plan is to just mow it, you will improve the pasture quality greatly. Don't scalp it though.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 months 2 days ago #559509 by Coobster
Thanks very much for everyone's reply, food for thought!

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds