Where are my chooks getting out?

More
8 months 6 days ago #559193 by Ace
I've searched and searched my chooks' enclosure but can't see where they're getting out and I'm not getting any eggs. I've clipped their wings so don't think they're flying in and out. Does anyone have any ideas on something I could use as a chook tracker? We had one for the dog when she was a puppy so could see where she was at any point. There's been a few near misses with the dog - she has a strong prey drive and is not a respecter of wayward chickens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 5 days ago #559195 by tonybaker
Specsavers?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 months 5 days ago #559198 by smudge
This has always worked for me. Set up a chair where you can view the chicken run. Get a slice of bread and smother it with peanut butter. Take a couple of cold beers and an air rifle. Look for an area where the grass shows obvious signs of some small animal foot traffic. Put the breadclose to some cover where the grass is flattened. Open a beer. Keep one eye on the chickens and another on the bread. Shoot the rats as they appear. You will see where the chooks are trying to get out.

More
8 months 5 days ago #559199 by mattib
We have one that is continually getting out at the moment as well, have tried the feeding the others while it is out to try and see if it will get back in but its not smart enough to figure that out. Have clipped its wings as well but still manages to get out somewhere. Im hopefully going to get some time to make a timber gate to replace a couple of lower metal ones which i suspect it is getting past somehow, though im still not sure why the others arent getting out the same way. Luckily we dont have a dog to worry about, in our last place a neighbours dog got out and killed the 3 we had at the time, not a great sight to come home to in your sunday best.

Living with my head in the clouds in the Waitakere Ranges

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds