ELECTRIC FENCE ENERGISER Review: The Chinese-made XSD-260B

More
10 months 4 days ago - 10 months 4 days ago #558915 by xylstra
An Electric Fence Energiser suitable for small acreages. I thought I would write a brief review of the Chinese-made XSD-260B Electric Fence unit I recently purchased off AliExpress (see:  www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003676728676...atewayAdapt=Msite2Pc ) should this prove to be of interest to group members. I'll do my best to not make it sound too much like an 'infomercial'! The first question EVERYONE will ask; how much did it cost? .... the princely sum of NZ$87.68, all inclusive, delivered! Turnaround time was quick too, from date of order confirmation, 20 days to my doorstep although I preferred that they would have forwarded to my P.O. box as originally requested in which case I would have received it 2 days earlier. Either way, 2-½ weeks -, not bad!
See the picture in the photo gallery. The unit is immediately useable right out of the box by using the included alligator clips to operate from a 12V battery. The unit will also operate from a mains G.P.O. from the 9V plug-pack, also included. However, you won't be doing this immediately as the plug-end is the European 2 round-pin (¾" pitch-spacing) so you will first have to buy one of the many inexpensive travel adaptors that are widely available from the likes of Mitre 10, Bunnings, very electrical wholesaler, COUNTDOWN supermarkets and few gold coin shops. Now that I have forewarned you of this you can now avoid the delay by buying one in advance. Alternatively, every charity/op shop will have a box (... or 2, or 3...) of jumbled up cables and various wall-warts that may be suitable. You need a 9v @ 2Amp (DO NOT go lower than this!) plug-pack. N.B. For either option, think about your power-point location and assess whether you will have any fouling issues with adjacent walls, timber framing, etc when you try to plug it in.
     The external overview of the unit reveals that it is very well made and quite solid. It is surprisingly light which testifies to the use of the latest SMP circuitry, no doubt there are going to be some busy MOSFETS working overtime, inside! The one (slightly) negative comment I would make is that as you can see from the pictures it has only a single suspension tab - O.K. for the weight - but I would have much liked there to be a least two, and preferably three. If your installation situation presents a risk of it being knocked or jarred then a quick waltz up and down the aisles of Bunnings or Mitre 10 will yield the necessary bracketry to remedy the situation. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me though. A really nice feature is that in addition to the usual pulse indicator light (1-½ second pulse rate) it also includes a numerical LED pulse energy display although it has to be said, not of great practical utility. The only pulse energy figure that really matters is the reading at the extreme termination point of your electric fenceline and/or the furthest distance to the ground-stake. A useful piece of advice, if your property has difficult soils e.g. low-conductivity dry sandy, then it will often pay dividends in maximising pulse-strength to go to the added trouble of running a long insulated wire to a remote, supplementary earth-stake or even several. I am unable to give you an assesssment of the strength of my unit as a), I don't really have any need to own a portable meter reader N.B. these are also readily available off of AliExpress and for very little and b) my property has been ungrazed for several months during the lay-period between a change of graziers and with all the rain the property has drowned in long-grass so the fence is well and truly ground-shorted. Until the livestock fully chew out the fenceline I won't be in a position to make a final assessment. The manual for the unit claims that it will power 10Km of fenceline and although it doesn't expressly state it, I infer that this means a single-strand fenceline. I would also guess that this distance is under ideal laboratory conditions - continuous straight line, no splices or joins, perfect ground-staking, etc. For real-world installations, given most average rural small blocks where there are often ground-shorts from over-hanging vegetation, etc then for planning purposes I would be inclined to conservatively de-rate this figure to (I suggest) 6Km as a worst-case scenario. If you happen to be a particularly fastidious fencer than you may very well get to approach the theoretical maximum. Either way, 6Km should be fine for most small acreages. ...and speaking of the fenceline, hooking the wires up is straightforward with terminals sizes for most medium gauge wire and not matter how many errant thumbs on your  club hand you won't end up dropping the captive terminal nuts, rolling away into some inaccessible crack in the floor, never to be seen again!
     Another interesting accessory is available for use with this fence unit (NOT included with the featured model; enquire separately) and, I suspect, others is a 'dead man's handle' electronic monitoring/alarm module. If there is a power failure it will send an SMS text message to your phone as well as sound an audible alarm. A really handy feature if say, for instance, you're away on holiday, or maybe you're grazing a property with no-one around to chase the livestock back in!
     I have to mention one highly amusing encounter while reviewing the various offerings. One vendor had up-loaded a video to demonstrate its waterproof case by dunking the live unit fully into a pitcher of water while suspending it by the cables as if picking up a dead rat. No thanks - rather him than me! Once installed, I encountered a second slightly amusing issue. The green LED "power-on" indicator was so bright that when I first looked out my window toward the garage one night I panicked, thinking either I had left the car interior light on or worse, that someone had broken into my garage and was rifling around with a torch!
     Please, DON'T let anyone try to press me for a 'Buy' recommendation because I will likely pick you up by the scruff of the neck and eject you out the door! I will NEVER give a final 'thumbs-up' until a piece of equipment has performed flawlessly for a least 2 years of service, so ask me then. Suffice to say that for the meantime, this unit has created a good first impression with impressive features for a budget model and only the minor niggles as noted in this review, all at a bargain price.  So, let's see what happens between now and then......

While I'm here, I thought it an opportune time to discuss the issue of cost. The price I paid was the cheapest I could find when I hit 'Confirm'. But if you shop on AliExpress looking for a cheaper deal - don't bother! The cheapest price you will ever pay is at the moment you see it because prices change ALL the time, by the hour and by the minute. You'll waste away your life looking for a better deal. However, that doesn't mean you can't save an awful lot of money because quantity discounts are available; cheaper by the dozen, as they say. But even that pales by comparison to having goods sent by sea-freight. Airfreight is intrinsically exorbitantly costly. The problem is, few individuals have enough demand to fill your average 20' shipping container. That's the idea that has frustrated and annoyed me over the years. I have tried and tried in vain through advertising and various group postings to form private importing groups, say a dozen or so members to pool their requirements and by doing so, to drive the prices down. I could never get anyone interested because I suspect, their bloated egos got in the way. Leave your egos outside the door and learn to work TOGETHER co-operatively!! By doing so you will make huge savings. Think of all the things you could bulk-order; water-pumps, Electric Fence units(!), knock-down sheds, storage batteries and solar-panels for off-grid living, etc, etc, the list is endless......
File Attachment:
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 4 days ago by xylstra. Reason: Add picture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 days ago #558916 by tonybaker
There's a similar one on Trade me at virtually the same price! to import one cubic metre of general cargo from China, expect to pay at least NZ$520 plus GST. Then you have to do quality control on each item as there are bound to be some that have faults.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
10 months 4 days ago #558918 by xylstra
sorry Tony, but you don't know my background. I used to be a purchasing manager, importation is my stock-in-trade. Freight-rates are all about good timing and having the right connections. Your price is way off target. As for the fence unit, I wasn't picking an argument as to where you choose to buy it from. Frankly, I couldn't care less. It's simply a product review for those who choose to buy one from where ever they choose, that's all.

More
10 months 3 days ago #558920 by tonybaker

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
10 months 3 days ago #558921 by HandyHomemaker
I would consider products from either Gallagher, Thunderbird or Tru-Test.

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #558957 by xylstra
Test the word "consider" when you look at the price tag!

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds