Dealing with BIG OLD pine trees

More
10 months 1 week ago #558782 by lsbloke
Hi LSBers

Post cyclone we've now got a mountain of cut up pine tree in our pasture.

This old man was 85 years old and arborists cut him up and piled the pieces into a heap that's 3M high and 6M long

We want it gone and the bumph I'm reading says pieces of the size in the pile will burn for weeks and we cannot rely on wind direction to keep sparks and embers from doing further damage if the wind direction changes.

The bigger pieces weight tons and I have nothing that will shift them.

Leave the pile as is??  Take the risk and burn??

Any thoughts or suggestions

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #558784 by Hertz Donut
Not sure if you've posted a picture (work blocks a lot of them) so I can't see the log size you're talking about but...

A neighbour's son runs a company that has a massive 800hp log chipper (Morbark 3400XT for the curious) that is used for forestry mulching, plus a number of other heavy vehicles. They use the chips for everything from calf bedding to biofuel. There may be someone in your area who can provide a similar service. Depending on the economics it may be fairly expensive but it depends on how the company operates.

Try searching for "wood hogging" in your area. Otherwise buy a big chainsaw and sell firewood for a while. :p

I have a very big willow that went down in the cyclone. I'm part-way through cutting it up and it will keep us warm for many years...all I have to do is install a log fire to burn it, and build a large shed to store all the wood.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lsbloke

More
10 months 1 week ago #558786 by tonybaker
It's probably too green to burn well at the moment and by the time it is dry enough so will the grass be, so big fire risk. You don't say if you have any gear, tractor, log splitter, chainsaw etc? as selling for firewood is the only option.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
10 months 3 days ago #558801 by WoodyChip
I think I would go ahead with what Hertz Donut said about chopping and selling wood, maybe employ somebody parttime to do this for you?

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #558809 by lsbloke
Keener to get someone with a sawmill to deal to the really big logs arborist said old pine like this would last ages as 4 by 4 posts or slabs - sw you may be investing in one ......we are in Nortland

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #558814 by Off.the.grid
We have a ton of the things on our property, have no idea how to deal with some. Got an old tall one that is difficult to access as far as retreving firewood. May just ringbark it and let it die. They are weeds.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #558816 by tonybaker
Ringbarking does not always work on big trees, cut in as deep as you can and create as wide a gap as possible. It's a good way to get nice dry firewood though. Surprisingly, in my experience the firewood guys do not seem too interested in standing trees? As for sawmilling, when I helped a neighbour operate a portable mill, there was no way we could cut a large tree, unless you have a proper logging skidder.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds