Driveway Trees Evergreen or Deciduous ?

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #558746 by Ramsay
Hi
Pros and Cons.
Evergreen...
Pro   Don’t drop leaves that will contaminate driveway metal.
Con   Will shade driveway during winter and not allow it to dry.

Deciduous...
Pro   Will not shade driveway during winter
Cons   Drops leaves in winter contaminating driveway metal.

My current driveway is way overdue for a scrape and re metal but with all the 
leaves that drop on it in winter I can’t help thinking that within a few seasons it will be
back to a muddy leaf and shingle mix.

Suggestions ?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #558747 by Alan Gilbert
Even deciduous will shade to some extent in winter, but shading may not be such a problem.
I would reckon leaves to be a worse nuisance than a damp driveway.
So for me it's evergreens every time.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #558748 by LongRidge
For me/us, a damp driveway in summer is a blessing because it reduces the dust somewhat. For me the deciduous trees fill up the water table and make dams which send the water onto the drive. The conifers drop cones, and so they are a water table problem too. We have a problem with branches overhanging the drive and hitting trucks and high hay loads on the ute. If the trees are planted far enough from the drive then they are either way out into the paddock, and the drive has to be grazed fairly often. Personally I would not have trees anywhere near the drive.
Remember not to plant cypresses of any kind, nor oaks.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #558750 by tonybaker
I have eucalypts on one side and tagasaste on the other, and I spend quite a bit of time and effort raking leaves! The eucs roots form lumps which have to be removed, the tags are ok but need trimming often. If I was starting over, I would have something like pittosporum lemonwood which can grow to 4 metres and doese not drop leaves. Now is your chance to rethink the driveway, get rid of those trees and replant, then remetal.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #558767 by Hertz Donut
We have liquidambars lining the driveway, the stock love the leaves and we get a great show from the foliage over autumn. We just let the leaves lie on the ground and rot/blow away but our driveway is basically flat and only 100m long so never any issue with traction.

The seed pods are round "spiky bombs" that take forever to break down, and the trees seem to be very hardy.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Hertz Donut.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #558772 by WoodyChip
I would say evergreen would be best. There is nothing worse much out leaves, and with such terrible storms, it seems like an ongoing issue.

More
10 months 1 week ago #558783 by lsbloke
Hi there

I'd say shade is good in the paddocks but not crash hot for your driveway - we plant fodder trees (willows Lucerne and poplars)  where our stick can get the benefit but avoid having them overhang gravel tracks or roadways. 

LSBloke

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds