Generators...Diesel or Petrol ?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558583 by Ramsay
Hi
Planning to be entirly off grid with in the next 2 yrs.
Planning to have diesel ute/tractor...electric everthing else.

Problem
Do I go with the "Gold Standard" Honda Inverter Generator...pricey and means I need to have petrol on site and it will sit for long periods

or go Diesel Generator....do they make an inverter Diesel Generator...only need to stock one type of fuel that can use on everything so will not sit around.

Ideas ?
Thanks
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558584 by Hertz Donut

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558585 by Ramsay
Hi
Yes that looks like a comparable generator the the Honda EU70IS.
Have asked them for pricing
Thanks
Richard

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558586 by lsbloke
Hi there

we have been off grid for ages (decades) and we back up our 48V system with a petrol generator.  We used a Honda 3500W which could float the original batteries (lead acid) in about 6 - 7 hours   we replaced with gel batteries and also got a 9000W petrol GT power remote start job recently - our system checks the input power and we do not need an inverter generator which means we can deploy the generators elsewhere on the farm to run tools and such.

The Honda was great but pricey  the GT power is amazing and was very well priced - (as an aside we uprated the panels too and have not used the generator much at all)

Get your power budget right (normal usage vs output from your system) get the right/best system installed that you can afford  and you'll only use the genny once in a blue moon.

We ve had well over a decade of hassle free solar power to our home and farm and cannot think why everyone does not do it (bar the initial investment).

cheers

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558587 by Ramsay

Hi there

we have been off grid for ages (decades) and we back up our 48V system with a petrol generator.  We used a Honda 3500W which could float the original batteries (lead acid) in about 6 - 7 hours   we replaced with gel batteries and also got a 9000W petrol GT power remote start job recently - our system checks the input power and we do not need an inverter generator which means we can deploy the generators elsewhere on the farm to run tools and such.

The Honda was great but pricey  the GT power is amazing and was very well priced - (as an aside we uprated the panels too and have not used the generator much at all)

Get your power budget right (normal usage vs output from your system) get the right/best system installed that you can afford  and you'll only use the genny once in a blue moon.

We ve had well over a decade of hassle free solar power to our home and farm and cannot think why everyone does not do it (bar the initial investment).

cheers

Hi
Is your generator this one?
GT10000ESQ
Thanks
Richard

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558589 by Hawkspur
For a generator to last with low maintenance requirements, go for a water-cooled diesel that revs at around 1500.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558591 by neil postie
I recently got one of these
www.bunnings.co.nz/briggs-stratton-9500w...e-generator_p8915295
Only had it a few months so can't say as to it's reliability but does the job. It's wired into our solar panel via a plug so we can unplug and use it elsewhere if needed (neighbours borrowing it after Gabriel). I was told to stay away from cheap diesel ones and for the price of a similar Honda I could buy 3 of these. Last year we used our old one a total of about 15 hours

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558592 by lsbloke
Sorry I steered you wrong

we bought GT Power GT9005Ei

it is an open frame inverter - its really and pumps out 8000 max 7500constant

lsbloke

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #558594 by lsbloke
........but we did have to disable the RCD on the genny as our system had one fitted - the retailer approved the sparky doing the work and the manufacturer still gave us the warranty    ... great!!

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds