Eggs changing colour over the past week!!

More
1 year 3 months ago #558281 by lsbloke
Hi all you chook gurus out there

is this something for us to worry about here are this hens eggs from 6 days ago on the right to yesterdays on the left  

over the past few days - crappy wet weather for sure but otherwise no change to our chook environment  the eggs this hen is laying have gone from dark to almost white - other hen is laying dark brown as usual??

Otherwise this hen is happy and eating well

thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #558290 by Hawkspur
This is not something I know much at all about, but I found some info on it here: www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/eggs/p...gs-egg-shell-colour/
The following user(s) said Thank You: lsbloke

More
1 year 3 months ago #558303 by Sue
I thought I had replied to this but when I checked it had vanished!
There are a number of things which can cause normally brown eggs to lose their colour. Of course they progressively get paler over the laying season and as the bird ages but not suddenly like you have so nicely illustrated.
As this is only one hen then that can change what may be the cause.
Because the brown pigment is added just before the egg is laid then the problem usually relates to something affecting the oviduct. It can be a stress and the egg is retained longer than it should and another thin coating of calcium overlays the brown.
There are a couple of viral diseases which also cause eggs to go pale but there may be other signs as well. Egg Drop Syndrome or EDS is the most likely. It doesn't affect the birds appearance itself but starts by producing paler shells, followed by some shell less eggs or ones with paper thin shells and then stopping laying. It is slow to spread through the flock but they will recover eventually without treatment.
Infectious Bronchitis can affect the oviducts of adult hens and symptoms include pale eggs, shell less and deformed eggs, watery whites and may or may not include respiratory symptoms, and is quite common, especially in winter months.
Some conditions like worms, coccidiosis and anaemia from red mites sucking blood have also been known to affect egg shell colour due to the tress on their systems!
There is a medication, a coccidiostat that affects egg shell colour but it is only for use in meat bird feed and then may not still be in use these days? We used to have to test each batch of layer feed delivered from the feed mill for Nicarbazin when they were using it to make broiler feed in the same mill.

Lastly an excess of vitamin D is also thought to cause eggs to go pale! This happens on long sunny days when the birds also have a full diet of layer feed which contains the correct level of Vit D as if they were kept inside 24/7. It had been noticed some years ago in Nelson region in the middle of summer. Sounds like this is an unlikely cause in the cloudy wet summer most seem to be having.
Providing cool water in the shade on hot days is also said to beneficial to keeping brown eggs brown

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lsbloke

More
1 year 3 months ago #558304 by spoook
Thanks Sue, interesting options for lsb bloke. ;-)

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
1 year 3 months ago #558305 by lsbloke
Wow - thanks so much for Guru-level advice Sue - only on LSB eh!!

yup two days of no-shell eggs followed now no eggs at all - otherwise fine and eating like a carthorse (the chook of course)

so that viral EggDrop Syndrome fits the bill 100%  any idea how long it takes to get over it??

More
1 year 3 months ago #558317 by Sue
Well that was good to get feed back and that one of the scenarios fitted!

It is said the infection takes 4 to 10 weeks to run its course, but I'm thinking that would be through a flock, not in an individual. Here is some more information about EDS. www.hyline.com/ViewFile?id=a3cdb02d-5524-4ea1-88ec-e12a4dc1891a

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
1 year 3 months ago #558326 by lsbloke
For anyone following this mini drama

4 or 5 days of no eggs

now popping them out one a day good as gold - colour - mid way down the dark to white spectrum    same size as before = huge!!

still eating like a horse other hen is fine too no pause in her egg production

I did disinfect the coop and freshen everything up for them

Still EDS?? I reckon so

More
1 year 2 months ago #558378 by Inger
Hey Sue, are you able to have backyard poultry again yet? Or is Hubby still in the industry?

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
1 year 2 months ago #558398 by Sue
Hi Inger, a long time since we touched base! No hubby has left left the commercial poultry industry after 47 years, but we are now living in a 'Lifestyle' village and can only keep dogs or cats, have been here for 3 years! Both in our mid seventies I think the likelihood of a backyard flock is over!
We also sold the farm a couple of years ago, but not the cows, so bought a new one, 52 acres and lease another 20, which our daughter and son in law live on and mind the cows for us (all 51 of them) plus their own! There is talk of chickens but doubt if that will happen. I still lust after Blue laced Wyandottes, but just enjoy other peoples chickens these days, a friend has silver laced Barnevelders which are beautiful !

Sue

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds