Pot holes in the driveway

More
1 year 5 months ago #558209 by neil postie
Hi all, with all this rain we are getting recurring potholes in our drive. It's a GAP20 metal on it but the potholes come back after a short amount of time. I used to fill them with the sludge washed out of concrete mixer trucks but cant get it anymore. Anyone has any permanent suggestions. FYI our drive is about 2km long and has quite a few holes at the moment so it needs a bulk solution

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558213 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Pot holes in the driveway
I think you have no option but to do each pothole individually. Gap20 with no binding agent won't last long. Some gravel is actually mostly pebbles which don't have any binding effect. Driver education is another thing, potholes form mostly where drivers accelerate out of a corner. I would talk to your local aggregate supplier to see if they have any clayey mixes. I guess you have a tractor and grader blade?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 5 months ago #558214 by neil postie
Hi Tony, have filled them all with MAP40 ($20 a trailer load). We'll see how it goes. If it lasts a while I might hire a compacter next time. Most of the holes are on straights but the edges need rounding off. Something to do in the new year, hours of fun. Have a merry one

More
1 year 5 months ago #558215 by bmt
Replied by bmt on topic Pot holes in the driveway
Hi Neil
With the amount of rain, we have recently,
I also have the same issue.
Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it except refill them.
I think with gravel roads there is no permanent solution.
It all depends on our driving style, traffic, and drainage.

I found lime mixed hold together the best but highly likely it will have a different colour from the rest of your driveway.

With gap20, gap40, and lime mixed. etc the less we handle them or the sooner we compact them the better.

More
1 year 5 months ago #558229 by RichardF
Replied by RichardF on topic Pot holes in the driveway
The root cause of potholes is having the basecourse layer saturated. Unless you can drain the water then you gave no choice but to keep backfilling them. The standard design of a gravel road has the subgrade ( the bit below the gravel) sloping to a table drain on either side. Any water that falls on the gravel soaks through and runs sideways into the table drain and away.
However, most driveways built on flat land end up with no table drain and thus no drainage.

More
1 year 4 months ago #558325 by Trentnz
Replied by Trentnz on topic Pot holes in the driveway
Earthmoving contractor here - No quick fix unfortunately, when filling potholes, its best to scarify the existing pot hole so the new material binds in with the existing driveway otherwise you have an area of lamination 

Unsure of your area but you might be able to get a company to mill & stabilise your existing driveway 

More
1 year 4 months ago #558331 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Pot holes in the driveway
We found GAP 40 was ideal last year when we did our driveway pot holes.  There's new ones now, but not in the same places.. 

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds