Line Trimmers

More
1 year 7 months ago #557784 by occy96
Line Trimmers was created by occy96
Hello, 

I have recently brought 5000 sqr meter section, What line trimmer would people recomend, Part of it is a grass bank that is just too steep for the mower, (40m x 5m) any reccomedations,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #557785 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Line Trimmers
I had a Husqvarna, and hated it.

I now have a Stihl, and love it.

Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Alan Gilbert.

More
1 year 7 months ago #557786 by occy96
Replied by occy96 on topic Line Trimmers
Cheers Alan, Any idea what model Sthil you hava?

More
1 year 7 months ago #557793 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Line Trimmers
Another vote for Stihl, although I picked up an ex-council Echo model for about $50 at the local auctions that does very well.

200sqm is a reasonable area to cover with a line trimmer. I'd consider a brush cutter instead, it'll handle any thicker grass a lot easier, and has the bonus of easily getting through small trees and weeds like blackberry. They're more expensive and a bit heavier but the time savings and extra utility more than pay that back.

My motto is to go 1 or 2 models bigger than I think I'll need. Always nice to have more power than required.

Considered planting the bank so you don't have to mow it?

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
1 year 7 months ago #557798 by Alan Gilbert
It's an FS85, I think, the version with bicycle-type handles. I have had it since 2009, so I doubt that it is still a current model.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #557800 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Line Trimmers
We just got a Makita battery electric multitool on special with a string trimmer head that can be swapped in. We already had a Stihl 2 stroke multitool, but we are slowly replacing the 2 stroke things we can, and the Makita line trimmer does the job, is light to use, did not jam, and replacing the line is a simpler process with less fiddling. It is much quieter, so even though hearing protection is good for the operator, there is less noise for another person wanting to do stuff not far away. With the petrol one, that was an issue.

We also have the hedgetrimmer and pole saw. Yet to use the pole saw. Hedgetrimmer went well. Batteries also match the chainsaw we got with loyalty points, and a little mower we were given when my brother got rid of his lawn, that does around trees where the rideon can't go, and we would be happy to get Makita workshop tools etc if  needed, to match the batteries.
Of all the ones we have used, the mower is what we are least happy with. We have to admit our place is fairly rough, and it is not the mower for the job. The plastic wheels are not made to roll over rough stuff, and the plastic body is flexing as we lever it around things, but it is light so can be moved around easily with a bit of a lift on the handles, and we paid nothing for it.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Hawkspur.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #557803 by Alan Gilbert
Hertz Donut makes a good point about its always being nice to have a bit more power. But if you are keeping a steep bit of ground in trim, it's always nice to have a bit less weight. Unfortunately you can usually get one or the other but not both.

Another consideration is comfort. Some trimmers have rubbishy harnesses that are just plain horrible to wear for any length of time. (I'd avoid anything that comes with only a shoulder strap.)

As for brush-cutting, well, Stihl supplied a kind of circular-saw blade accessory with my line-trimmer. I used it a couple of times, but found the chainsaw far more effective and actually easier to use. On looking at the original invoice, I see that my FS85B is actually called a brushcutter, which I hadn't remembered in my previous post. I guess that just means it's a line-trimmer with a hairy chest. The saw blade that I got with it is called a SAW BLADE 200-24 {CT}. If you do buy a machine that's compatible with that blade, and you want it, PM me, and you can have it for the cost of postage.

The modern all-singing-all-dancing battery gadgets are amazing, as long as you've got lots of batteries that fit them all. We have a drill, a leaf-blower, a small conventional hedge-trimmer, a large and unwieldy telescopic-pole hedge-trimmer, and a delightful little chain-saw, all by Ozito, the house brand from Bunnings. OK, they're cheap Chinese-made things, but they come with long warranty periods, and so far I have found the quality to be excellent.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Alan Gilbert.

More
1 year 7 months ago #557821 by Alan Gilbert
For what it's worth, Stihl have a promotion on until the 5th of December or until stocks run out, whereby they're selling some things (including five of their six models of line trimmer) without adding GST. That's a 13% saving.

More
1 year 7 months ago #557828 by Prairie
Replied by Prairie on topic Line Trimmers
I have the FS85 too, pretty sure it's still a current model. I recently bought the grass cutting blade for it, to replace the nylon. So much better, cuts through the longer grass with ease. 

More
1 year 5 months ago #558091 by bmt
Replied by bmt on topic Line Trimmers

Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #558092 by bmt
Replied by bmt on topic Line Trimmers
Hi occy96

What did you end up getting

I used to use a line trimmer but found myself keep buying a new line
then I switched to the STIHL bush cutter but
STHIL blade is not as sharp as my liking and clearing saw is not cheap.

So I make my own blade out old of carbon steel,
I razor-sharp it before I heat treat it.
It has been great and I cut anything and everything with it
More than happy to share the CAD file or how to make it

More
1 year 4 months ago #558155 by guggerlugs
Replied by guggerlugs on topic Line Trimmers
Try a morrison I have one. They are cheap and pretty good,over the years I have built up a collection of tools to go with them ,rotary hoe,extension chainsaw for tree pruning,hedge trimmer etc.Worried about them possibly being superceded and the gear not fitting I bought another I was so pleased with their starting qualities I bought a morrison chainsaw starts brilliantly,I have owned husky,oliomac,still plus but love my morrison bought my wife an ozito from bunnings it's a good one too and when it dies I will chuck it and buy a new one.
Was talking to I guy who had a rental buisness he used morrison said after a dozen rentals they had paid for themselves and when buggered he chucked them an bough a new ones.
Hint for heavy scrub gorse,woolynightshade,privet,etc try fitting a saw blade works wonders but stay away from anything stringy "flax etc" or you'l get tied up in knots.
P.S.Ozito chain sharpener if you dont push it it does a good job and it will have paid for itself in a few sharpenings

More
1 year 4 months ago #558189 by lsbloke
Replied by lsbloke on topic Line Trimmers
Hi there

if you have not bought already I can recommend OleoMac - good selection of engine sizes and mine has line trimmer brushcutter and chainsaw attachment - so that covers just about everything.

Runs all day without a problem - I have an OM chainsaw as well - its great too

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds