How does facial eczema effect the unborn lamb?

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #557662 by sandraq
I had facial eczema in May this year when my ewes were two months in lamb.  One Wiltshire ewe was hit particularly hard and I’ve held off culling her as I think she’s still in lamb.  Any ideas what to expect of the lamb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #557663 by Jaybee
My experience is with cattle. The calf is OK but the cow tends to struggle to cope with the stress of giving birth and coming into milk and is much more likely to go down around calving time. The liver does regenerate though so some are fine especially if they are young.

If you do try to get your ewe through lambing make sure she is very well fed to minimise the risk of sleepy sickness.
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Jaybee.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #557664 by LongRidge
It is very hard on the ewe to do the unborn lamb and herself well enough for good growth of both and good lactation.
Sometimes the lamb/s abort, and other times they shrivel up inside and a mummified.
I would be feeding her "Twin lamb pellets" at about a cupful per day, starting off at 1/4 cup per day.
You should cull the lamb and the ewe when the lamb is big enough to be used as meat. Do not cull for meat when the animal has FE or for about 9 months after. FE meat tastes horrible.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds