Cows Mooing for treats?

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #557630 by Jbug
Cows Mooing for treats? was created by Jbug
Does anyone have experience with hand reared beefies and them potentially learning to Moo for treats?

we have one animal who moos constantly when we go outside, and I mean doesn’t stop when he sees us, it started with the wheel barrow, because they get the lawn clippings and also if the neighbour was mowing their lawns he would make noise too. 
But now it is ANY TIME I GO OUTSIDE AND HE SEES ME. To the point of me trying to hide from him so he doesn’t moo.

I know we are in the country and that animals moo but this is non stop. And I KNOW they have enough food and water because they couldn’t physically eat through everything In their paddock yet.

I think he must just be mooing because he thinks he will get treats (hay/apples/grass clippings), it is doing my head in and I am also embarrassed that the neighbors think we aren’t treating them right when I know we are. 

can I get him to stop?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 14 hours ago #557631 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cows Mooing for treats?
It's entirely possible he really likes you and wishes you would go over and give him a scratch! Is he tame enough to touch? Try that. Go and talk to him, tell him you love him, see if that helps.

And yes, he probably did learn to call for treats. Cattle are clever, some cleverer than others.

More
4 weeks 13 hours ago #557632 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Cows Mooing for treats?
Cattle can be terribly demanding - you should hear the racket a whole herd of dairy cows can make if they think you're withholding something they want. 

First make sure he's getting sufficient food so isn't unreasonably hungry. Also try not to reward the behaviour - don't give treats and try to break the association between humans and food - sneak any supplements into the paddock without him noticing if possible. I'm assuming he has other cattle for company so isn't just lonely?

It should get better in the spring when there's lots of nutritious grass and the weather is better so the animals are generally more content. 

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #557643 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cows Mooing for treats?
Oh. When you wrote "we have one animal who moos..." did you mean you only have one animal?
One animal would call, for sure, just for some company! They're herd animals. Otherwise, as above.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds