Cherry trees and sheep

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #557627 by Si
Cherry trees and sheep was created by Si
I have just moved to an acre and a half plot small farm with my three Cameroon sheep. BUT there is one very big cherry tree!!! There are many other large established trees but when researching cherry tree for rabbits I found they are poisonous to sheep. Is it like copper and builds up in their system or can they have little nibbles?
I have asked a local farm vet that has never heard of cherry tree being dangerous to sheep so no help from him!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #557629 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Cherry trees and sheep
Many thanks for warning me about this. Google says "wild or black cherries" are perhaps worse, and the leaves fresh or dried but not when the cyanide has dispersed. So don't let them near when a branch falls off, especially when the animals are hungry. I'm off to cut ours down right now because it's winter here and there are no leaves on the trees.

More
4 weeks 13 hours ago #557633 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Cherry trees and sheep
I have fed my sheep all sorts of branches and they regularly help themselves to the burn pile in the paddock. They know what not to eat and will just have a nibble if they are not sure. Mine love citrus peel but turn their noses up at pumpkin! As long as you have grass available and they are not hungry, I would not worry.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds