Fencing plier turotials

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #557537 by Off.the.grid
Any tutorials and/or instructional videos on how to use these things?

I hit my fence with the line trimmer blade and cut a wire.
I am trying to tie on a strainrite strainer and an extra piece of wire. This stuff is pretty hard to bend!
I also have 2 different pairs of rabbit claws.
see photo. I dont know what one is best suited for twisting wire.
what is the technique to splice wire and twist them together? I find this stuff so hard to work with!

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Off.the.grid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #557546 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Fencing plier turotials
With those pliers, you'd have to do a figure 8 knot join - or two. Or you'd need crimping pliers and crimps (which are way easier, tidier, better and more expensive).

I put "figure 8 fencing knot nz" into youtube and came up with a number of videos.  You've probably done that already?
Last edit: 1 month 3 days ago by Ruth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Off.the.grid

More
1 month 2 days ago #557552 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Fencing plier turotials
Tim Thompson on Youtube has some handy clips for a lot of fencing and other rural tasks, presented in an accessible manner.

www.youtube.com/c/TimThompsonMedia

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Off.the.grid

More
1 month 2 days ago #557553 by Off.the.grid
Thanks, i will take a look at that.
There are a couple of areas that need repairs made to the fence, I was going to attach those wire strainers to the fence, but perhaps these are not necessary if I do it right? Ive seen those crimpers and they are expensive as you say, Ive got this wire tensioner that has a chain attached to it, I dont know how these work yet either.
The hardest thing for me is figuring out how to bend this wire so nice and tight, it seems awfully hard stuff to work with.

More
1 month 2 days ago #557556 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Fencing plier turotials
you use a short piece of steel bar with a hole in the end that the wire can go through. This gives you the leverage to twist the wires together. They have them on TradeMe but you can make one easily. [url] www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/business...g/listing/3660685696 [/url]  some people use an old door knob and the square bar that goes into it with holes in the end.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #557585 by Off.the.grid
Ok that looks helpful thanks. Tim's videos are also helpful, but I will need to practice a bit. There are a few sections on my boundary fence that is all broken, so would be good to practice on. It has not been maintained in many years and has treefalls across it. It runs partly through bush and is seperate from the main paddocks, but could be very useful for containing a few pigs or goats. We have seen wild pigs in the area on the other side of the road, so we may even see some on the property at some point. These are the chain strainers I got. They are different than the ones seen in the videos and look like an older type. I'm not sure how the hook system works, one hook doesn't seem to fit properly on the chain unless you slide the links to the side. Here I was thinking that these pliers had some function to twist the wires or something, but they don't.
Attachments:

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #557609 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Fencing plier turotials
wow, I can see why your having trouble using that ancient gadget! You really do need to get something like THIS and This . Fencing pliers are of limited use for newbies so just get a short piece of metal with around a 2mm hole in one end and that will let you twist the wire easily. Sheep netting is really the best option for you as stock can't get through it and it does not need to be strained very tight.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #557616 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Fencing plier turotials
I've been around farms all my life time and have never seen strainers like shown. Strainrite or Hayes companies may be interested as a museum item.

Everything Must be Somewhere

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds