Would you use this service?

More
1 month 1 week ago #557527 by ChelseaA
I’m a qualified veterinary technician and experienced dairy farmer with many years
of equine, goat and sheep experience. I am currently contracting and have a tonne of time up my sleeve and was looking at offering my services as self employed. If I made myself available for goat and sheep hoof trimming, shearing, vaccinating, ringing and docking do you think there would be interest for my services with lifestyle farmers? I could also offer animal nutrition advice (I’m experienced but not a qualified nutritionist there is no study for this in NZ outside of the bachelor of veterinary science), pasture and feed quality advice and feed budgeting for those with small herds. This could be an important tool for those making plans for winter and summer and can be done via email or on farm. 
I would be able to service from matamata to Thames, GST registered and have public liability. 
I have thought about this for such a long time and thought I would see if now that I have the time and opportunity I could make a go of it. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 6 days ago #557530 by neil postie
When we first started 7 years ago we would have been overjoyed to get help like this. Maybe approach real estate agents to give flyers to new lifestyle block owners. One thing thats needed badly is someone to file down alpaca teeth. The government changed the rules so shearers couldn't do it, vets have no idea how to so there's a gap there but you'd need to a) learn how and b) find out if your allowed to. If you could we've got some that need it and our friends do as well

More
1 month 6 days ago #557531 by ChelseaA
Hi thanks for your reply and great idea. In regards to your alpaca teeth there are limited vets who can float teeth. Your best bet would be to contact an equine vet. While alpacas fall under a rural vet they don’t do or very rarely do teeth. If your local to matamata a call to MVS equine would be good they could possibly team up an equine vet with a rural vet from their production clinic if need be.
I had looked into dental work many years ago as there was a large gap however if you want to be certified I believe that can only be done overseas unless you do it via a BVSc. I hope this helps!

More
1 month 6 days ago #557532 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Would you use this service?
You could also maybe offer a service for people wanting to go away - a daily check and feeding or shifting of animals.

More
1 month 4 days ago #557540 by Stikkibeek
it would be good to have access to someone who will trim cows hooves too. I tried very hard to find someone  last spring when one of our cows was starting to look like she had "Persian slippers" and it was obvious she was uncomfortable, we could only get a vet, who quoted us $350 which in my opinion was a shocking rip-off price. It doesn't cost anywhere near that to trim a horses hooves! Needless to say, we couldn't find anyone in our area who could do it. Luckily for the cow, the dry summer was  enough for her long toes to break back on their own, so she was galloping around the paddock with no further problems.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds