Pelichet Bay, Dunedin

More
1 month 1 week ago #557526 by Ruth
Pelichet Bay, Dunedin was created by Ruth
Can anyone assist please with the local pronunciation of Pelichet Bay?  Is it as the French might say it, or simply as it looks?  Peli-shay, or Peli-chett?  Hard or soft ch?

Thanks.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago #557535 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Pelichet Bay, Dunedin
I would say it has a hard "ch" and soft t...

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #557543 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Pelichet Bay, Dunedin
You would say from being there and hearing it said, or you would say from the look of the word?
I should probably have a look and see where the original Pelichet came from. Presumably it was called that by a person of Scottish origin?

No, looks like he was an English-born surveyor of the harbour, connected with the NZ Company, named it after himself, or someone named it for him afterwards.  So maybe I don't need to care how it's said, if it was just some old egotistical colonist.  And besides, it's no longer called that, so maybe nobody will know whether I'm saying it correctly or not.
Last edit: 1 month 3 days ago by Ruth.

More
1 month 3 days ago #557544 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Pelichet Bay, Dunedin
well, I am using my knowledge of French! A family of that surname came as immigrants and arrived at Wellington, but the name was De Pelichet but later records showed it as just Pelichet having dropped the French "De" or some official not understanding their language. There is mention of a Pelichet House so I guess the family established itself in what was then the bay ?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 month 3 days ago #557545 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Pelichet Bay, Dunedin
Yes, I'd be inclined to the French pronunciation myself, but suspected that might not have been how locals said it.
Pelichet the surveyor was of the de Pelichet family.

Surnames in the records are ... confounding. I've been looking for some of a Shennan family of late. Shennan, Shennen, Shannen, Shennon, Sheunan, all manner of mistaken hearing, spelling, and transcription errors. And then before that, lots of people never wrote their own names anyway, so no spelling is particularly "correct", just the most usual in a period.

It's been a lesson for a perfectionist!

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds