hydro electricity

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #557424 by neil postie
Hi all, we are putting in a solar water pumping assembly to pump water to our farm tank. It will pump more water than we need so I was thinking of using the extra water to run a gentle annie type turbine. Does anyone know where I can find a calculator to work out how much power I can make. The drop will be about 25 metres, flow will be whatever we make it and I can easily put in a 10,000 tank to run it, but would the tank run dry in a few minutes or last for hours? We're off grid so a non-solar backup would be handy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #557425 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic hydro electricity

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: neil postie

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #557428 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic hydro electricity
You're looking at using water as a stored energy source. But as you're off grid, you already have a stored energy source, your battery.

It would be considerably easier, more efficient, (and probably cheaper) to fit a switch to the solar pump so that once it's done enough pumping, the pump's supply current switches over to recharging an extra battery.

Every time energy is converted from one form to another, some of it is lost. That's just the way the universe works. So converting light to electrical energy in a solar panel, to kinetic energy in a pump, to potential energy in a water tank, to kinetic energy in a turbine, to electrical energy in an alternator, to chemical energy in a battery... well, you've lost a fair bit. Removing as many as practicable of those conversion steps improves the yield and reduces the expense, so I'd be inclined to cut out all but the first and last. Solar panel to extra battery is simple, easy, and zero maintenance.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #557429 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic hydro electricity
Hi Alan, unfortunately the pump, and panels, are about 180 metres from the house where the batteries are so laying a cable (through bush) isn't a viable option otherwise I'd have installed the extra panels on the house and run a wire to the pump. But I can run a water line down the hill from the tank, close to the house to run a hydro system quite easily. It's really as a backup when there's no sun instead of running a diesel generator

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #557431 by Hawkspur

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #557432 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic hydro electricity
Thanks Hawkspur, Just what I wanted but in my case it seems like an expensive way to produce not much power so will give it a miss. At 1 litre per sec I'd get 100 watts so a 10,000 litre tank would last 166 minutes equating to bugger all power

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #557433 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic hydro electricity
Yes, you realy need a big pond or similar large volume of water to make it worthwhile.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #557437 by Off.the.grid
Replied by Off.the.grid on topic hydro electricity
I want to explore with hydro someday too, but I dont think its worth the effort on a stream that only really flows to any significant state during the winter months, however, thats when we really need most of the power as in summer, we get more sun on our solar panels.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds