Trough Piping - what size and brands

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #557375 by OurPatchOfDirt
Hi All
We are a new LSB member - recently bought a 3 Acre block with no permanent trough irrigation [reticulation] (was done by hand/hose) After some thought i would like to replumb everything and want to make the right choices. Currently only sheep. I believe 4 of the 5 paddocks could be daisy chained on one >150m pipe line so should be a compact pipe run.
What brand
What size
Who is a competitive source. I would like to have durability and ease of products install and for fixes when needed, as well as ease to get more products/fittings in future. Any other considerations we might need or suggestions you might have. thanks
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by OurPatchOfDirt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #557376 by tonybaker
I think you mean "trough water reticulation" so unless you are going to have a number of cattle (unlikely on 3 acres) you can use 15 mm alkathene pipe. I don't use troughs as they get dirty and need cleaning and are heavy to move, so consider THESE . You then decide whether to bury the pipe or just run it around the fenceline. The fittings used are THESE and THESE . It helps if you have one of THESE . A jug or flask of hot water is handy to soften the pipe when you attach the fitting.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OurPatchOfDirt

More
1 month 1 week ago #557377 by Jaybee
You have sheep and a small farm and I have cattle and a large farm, so take what I say with a pinch of salt!

We use 20 or 25mm alkathene pipe, 15mm is too slow and blocks too easily. The joiners and fittings are pretty easy to use, you can use boiling water to soften them up although they work without. Run the pipe along fencelines, burying it is ideal if possible. Choose troughs with hidden ballcocks if there's any chance of having cattle, otherwise they can bust them and you lose all your water. Rural direct has good prices if there's one near you.

More
1 month 1 week ago #557378 by Hertz Donut
We have about 22 acres with a few troughs around the place. I use a 32mm main trunk with 25mm lines off that to the troughs, with as much buried as possible. If you get sub-zero temperatures try and get as much as you can underground, or at least off the ground. The water can freeze in the lines and split/push apart fittings - the line itself will be fine.

Also, if you go underground make sure you mark/take note of where they are so you don't end up cutting them open when tilling, or driving a post through them. If possible get them as close as possible to fence lines. I thought I was safe with mine being 1m off a fence and 400mm down but the bloke we leased out to for cropping still managed to cut one open because he tilled to 600mm and went wider than normal.

Lines and fittings are Hansen, troughs are a mix of old concrete ones we inherited that I patched up, and Stallion. Not a recommendation as such, just what was being sold at Farmlands.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
1 month 1 week ago #557380 by tonybaker
Keep in mind that sheep only need about 5 litres of water per day and probably only one of the paddocks is going to be in use at a time, so 15mm piping is sufficient. Cattle are different in that they tend to mob the trough and so you need a good flow of water.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds