Cow teat size difference

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #557369 by Nora
Hi, I have recently started milking a new cow for the first time and she has one teat which is shorter and narrower than the others. The machine I use was able to manage to milk it fine until the last week or so but now that quarter seems to still have milk in it with the udder appearing lopsided afterwards.

The calf was born in early April and is doing well. We haven’t needed to separate the calf from her yet although without this quarter we are starting to think we might have to.

There is probably a solution to this that someone can tell a novice about, like a different part we need to manage the smaller nipple perhaps?

Thanks.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Nora.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #557373 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Cow teat size difference
Sometimes when the calf is running with the cow the teats and udder can look different because the calf has doesn't drink the quarters evenly, it's not because of that? Does the calf empty out the quarter that won't milk well?

Teat cup liners come in different sizes for different size teats, maybe you could try a different size.

More
1 month 1 week ago #557374 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Cow teat size difference
Sometimes cows can become 3-teaters which can be due to injury or sometimes they get a "pea" of tissue, or clotting from mastitis in the milk vein which effectively blocks it. You need to gently probe the whole teat between your fingers , from tip to as high up in the udder as you can get. Feel for any possible obstructions. If none, and there is still milk in there that you can milk out then I would suspect it's down to the calf taking all the milk. strip out some of the milk if any and test for mastitis. If you can separate them overnight and then investigate that quarter in the morning, you will be able to check for milk quantity. Another thing to check for, is any scarring up at the udder, beside the teat. I have known of a few errors where a supposedly knowledgeable person has cut off the real teat and left the small extra teat that cows sometimes have. These extra teats can be removed if they are right beside a normal teat, as they can get in the way of milking and may not be properly connected to the actual quarter.. Of course cutting extra teats off is best done by a vet when the calf is young. You should be able to accommodate a smaller teat if it has milk in it, with a suitable inner on the cups.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds