Invasive paddock weeds- mallow

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #557363 by KotareLtd
Does anyone know of an effective way to eradicate mallow please? I have two varieties of mallow weeds in my paddocks... Cheeseweed mallow and Carolina bristle mallow. I understand that both are toxic to stock. I have noticed that they are also present in neighbouring properties.What I've found online at this stage is hand-pulling (totally impractical!) and some luck with 2,4-D or glyphosate... neither of which I'm happy to use on a regenerative farm due to toxicity and being band overseas. Any suggestions are VERY WELCOME! Thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #557364 by Jontashya
My sheep don't think it's toxic!

More
1 month 1 week ago #557366 by tonybaker
Mallow is not toxic, but having said that, if it is all they have to eat, then it may be so if it is in amongst normal grass it's ok. It is a really strong weed but it is deep rooted so will bring up nutrients from below. Roundup is not that effective, ok it knocks it back a bit but it would take several applications to eradicate it. I think the only way not using chemicals would be to heavily graze it with cattle then sheep and do a soil test to see what is lacking.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KotareLtd

More
1 month 1 week ago #557379 by Hertz Donut
We have a fair amount of purple mallow (apparently the previous owner's horses loved it) and our heifers eat it like it's chocolate. Been eating it for over a year in moderation with no ill effects.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds