Irrigation from IBCs

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557315 by duncs
Irrigation from IBCs was created by duncs
Hi folks, we don’t live on site (until we finish building) but have a lot of new trees that need more watering than we’ve been able to give them this summer.

Probably a stupid question, but is there a way to use water stored in IBCs and drip hoses, without pumps, which runs when we’re not there? We only have a slight decline so gravity won’t help us much.

I know we’re moving into winter so less watering is needed now, but I really need a solution, and we’re new to this stuff so we might be missing a trick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #557316 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Irrigation from IBCs
If you build a sturdy "tank stand" like households used to have, it might be doable. OH built our stand out of 4x4 ground treated fencing posts, and also for the top which he stepped in. Then, well braced lower down with 4x2s to support the legs. Ours gravity feeds to the goat house water troughs. Lifting It would also give you a bit of height for gravity. Where and how are you filling your IBCs from?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Stikkibeek.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557317 by The Island
Replied by The Island on topic Irrigation from IBCs
Thanks for the tips Stikkibeek. We fill the IBC from a stream, using a petrol pump. For the drip pipe to work over 50 metres or so, it would need to be pretty high though, wouldn't it? (Though I guess so long as gravity is enough to fill the hose to the very end, it should drip out okay...??)

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557318 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Irrigation from IBCs
T Tape or drip tape runs off very low pressure, not to be confused with Dripline tape used in vineyards. What you can do is use a circle of T Tape around the tree and connect in between with ordinary 13 mm lateral tubing. You can stack IBC tanks to give you a "tank stand" or use pallets. You will need a filter as T Tape has very fine holes. The you can use car battery and 12v pump to send the water around. A solar battery charger can be used for the battery. If you can get sufficient height for tank it may well run just off gravity. One of those battery tap timers can be used but choose one that works off low pressure.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557319 by The Island
Thanks Tonybaker - I'd never heard of drip-tape. Am I right in assuming the filter you mention is needed because we're drawing from a stream and the fine holes in t-tape could get clogged?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557320 by tonybaker
Yes, you are correct about the filter. Look on TradeMe for irrigation parts.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 months 1 week ago #557325 by D_Carter
Replied by D_Carter on topic Irrigation from IBCs
One thing to think about is using 20mm piping to move the water to where it's needed. There is a significant difference in the volume of water that can be shifted in a larger pipe before using 13mm hoses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Island

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #557326 by tonybaker
yes, of course, the bigger the pipe the better - but I think the OP is looking for a cheap solution and is not so worried about volume, as s/he is just going to drain the tank anyway.
here is a good YouTube about irrigating from a rainwater tank
I would put the filter on the inlet to the tank as it's then under pressure from the petrol engine pump from the pond, rather than on the actual dripline.
As we don't know the layout of the trees, I would suggest just using plain lateral tubing and making small holes at each tree. You can then increase the number of holes to suit the available flow. You may find that you need more holes at the end of the line rather than at the start.

Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by tonybaker.

More
3 months 1 week ago #557327 by The Island
Great info - thanks very much!

More
3 months 1 week ago #557329 by Indian Runner
Replied by Indian Runner on topic Irrigation from IBCs
HI, I have done this for our 2 months time away this dry Mar/April with generic black and brown drip hoses.
I put the IBC on 20cm concrete blocks, the back a tad higher.
Worked a treat, in fact the wee tab I had was a bit leaking (even though new) and the water just dripped out until empty.
So I wouldn’t buy new stuff but see if there’s free preloved ones around. I often find them on Aucklands kerbs chucked out.

Some days you're the fly, some days you're the windscreen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Island

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds