Converting cattle paddock to lawn

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #557301 by jimbrong1
Wanting to convert about half an acre on section to lawn in front of house. Ground fairly uneven from cattle and a horse and currently thick with pasture grass. What equipment will I need and using what tactics. I'm fairly new to this and am unsure how to tackle it.
Apologies if this question has been repeated and answered before, but I did not find much of the earlier material overly helpful.
Cheers in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #557304 by Stikkibeek
To make a good lawn it would pay to spray out course weeds first, but you can also spray out isolated weeds like dock or dandelion., Then, harrows, followed by a cambridge roller would be a good start to smooth out the pug marks from cattle and horses and you would need to do this when there has been enough rain to make the soil softer, but not slushy or muddy. You could also broadcast lawn seed over the area as you harrow. Two person job. If your land is steep you would need to use a tractor to control the weight of the roller, but if land relatively flat, a gator or quadbike would also be ok.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #557307 by tonybaker
well it depends on what your idea of a lawn is. If you want a "town" lawn, you are up for a lot of work but now is a great time to start.
What equipment do you have? In the perfect world, you would spray with Roundup then rotary hoe, grub the grass tufts out and level with something heavy dragged around. At that stage you should have some 10cms of topsoil which you can scatter seed on and rake in. The birds will love the seed so sow plenty, make sure to have water available if we have a dry spell.
Let us know what gear you have or are prepared to hire and we may be a bit more helpful.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds