Inherited Aggressive Ram

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557280 by SerenaDixe
We have recently purchased a small 1.5ha lifestyle block in which we inherited 1 x Ram and 2 x Ewes.

The Ram has got increasingly more aggressive since we have been here with someone having to jump a fence to escape from him yesterday and myself unable to go in the paddock with him. He also isn't so nice to his Ewe friends.

Should we be separating him from the Ewes? Will giving him a smaller space and moving him between spaces help? I am not overly attached to the Ram, the old owner seems to like him but cant take him so feeling a bit bad about what the hell we do with this guy who seems to want to murder us :P

Any suggestions welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557281 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Inherited Aggressive Ram
Aggressive rams are very very dangerous so get him killed urgently. At this time of the year his meat will taste wrong for meat for humans, but might be ok in sausages if he is not too smelly. Otherwise you will have to give him away, dead, as dog food if you don't have your own dogs.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557284 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Inherited Aggressive Ram
Kill the ram before he kills you - seriously, if he knocks you down and you hit your head the wrong way... He will hit you so hard and fast you won't know what happened and you could be seriously, permanently injured. You cannot carry a big enough stick to stop a ram having a go at you.

If you feel bad, tell the previous owner what you need to do, so he can come and rescue him if he wants him. Actually don't, because he might palm him off to some other unsuspecting victim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LongRidge

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557287 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Inherited Aggressive Ram
He might be more aggressive than usual as the ewes will either have come into season, or are about to with the shortening days. Certainly get rid of him. There is no place on a lifestyle block (nor a farm either for that matter) for a ram that isn't safe to be near. If you know the ewes have been served, then you don't need him any more anyway.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #557289 by SerenaDixe
Replied by SerenaDixe on topic Inherited Aggressive Ram
Thank you. When he was shorn a couple of months ago the guy said he was infertile, only had one teste, I don't know if that makes any difference but I think given everyones advice we need to get rid if him :) Thank you

More
3 months 1 week ago #557302 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Inherited Aggressive Ram
I agree with the others. The last owner is probably attached to him as he was probably hand reared. We did that once many years ago and I wouldn't go in the paddock without a weapon of some sort. Nothing would deter him. I hit so hard once I honestly thought it would die. Nah, didn't worry him one bit. Had to shoot him

More
3 months 2 days ago #557322 by kairara
Replied by kairara on topic Inherited Aggressive Ram
I agree he has to go, infertile and aggressive, temperment traits are pasted on to next generation. My son bought home three pedigree Suffock rams one that used to attack me. They have a pecking order and he thought he was higher than me. Solution in this case, I tipped him on the ground and sat on him , when he got up he was going to have another go but walked away instead.

Live in Northland NZ. 30 sheep mostly East Friesians, 5 cows,70 acreas mostly trees Lifestyle Block.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #557394 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Inherited Aggressive Ram
In the mean time, while you're waiting for the homekill man to come, you could tether him to a tree or ground anchor, so he can't chase you. Its a lot safer to do that, if you have to go into the paddock for some reason. Otherwise, stay out of the paddock while he's still alive.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds