Feather mites

More
2 years 1 month ago #557002 by Maike
Feather mites was created by Maike
One of my hens has lost feathers around her neck. I have isolated her and am sure it has been caused by feather mites. We have a lot of sparrows visiting the yard to check for left over grains and they probably introduced them. I would like to stay away from Ivermectin and try other treatments first. Would smothering the area with vaseline work? Also need to treat the coop for red mites. Shop recommended a product called Smite for that. Anyone with experience of that product? Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #557003 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Feather mites
I have never used "smite" but Ripcord is good. You do need to take precautions when spraying it in an enclosed area however; full protection etc.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maike

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #557004 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic Feather mites
I use ivermectin on broody birds or any males/non-laying females, otherwise withholding period is 10 days for eggs for layers. So easy and effective.

The best red mite treatment is exzolt from Avivet and you can dose each bird or put it in their group water.

No messy powders nor dusty ineffective treatments nor greasy vaseline all over my hands anymore.

Also they often moult neck feathers first so might just be that as days are getting shorter.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Nora.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maike

More
2 years 1 month ago #557014 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Feather mites
Do you have a rooster? They aren't respectful of hens rights when it comes to breeding and that can be another result of feather loss

More
2 years 1 month ago #557015 by BlueApple
Replied by BlueApple on topic Feather mites
Exzolt has been great !

More
2 years 1 month ago #557030 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Feather mites
it may not be mites at all, feather pecking can be linked to protein deficiency or just something hens do, Look HERE.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds