Wiltshire Ewe with a broken toe?

More
2 years 2 months ago #556904 by J12345T
Hi All,

We have a lame Wiltshire Ewe. She's ~6yrs old; so getting on however, she has what appears to be a broken toe on her left hind leg. The outer toe looks normal however, the inner toe is pointing almost directly down ie. 90 degrees out from the other toe. She's limping but otherwise in good condition. We're consulting a vet however, any thoughts or ideas appreciated before forking out more than she's really worth..

Cheers,

James.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #556909 by jeannielea
I think the vet is your only option. Without seeing it, its pretty hard to tell what's happening and you'd probably need someone with experience to help get it sorted anyway. Let us know what the verdict was and how it was dealt with.

More
2 years 2 months ago #556915 by tonybaker
I have had the same experience with my Wiltshires, I don't think it is broken, just an abnormal growth of the nail. They hobble about for a week or two then come right. Of course if there is obvious pain then action is called for.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 1 month ago #556959 by jeannielea
What was the verdict on the ewe's toe?

More
2 years 1 month ago #556960 by J12345T
Spoke with a couple of vets and the consensus opinion was to do nothing. She's an old ewe and currently keeping a late lamb company after weaning. She's eating well and in good condition. We'll obviously keep her away from the ram and continue to monitor her well being. If she goes downhill then we'll have to put her down however, for now she seems happy eating grass and playing grandma to the lamb...

More
2 years 1 month ago #556962 by jeannielea
Thanks for letting us know. I would guess that if it was broken it will just heal even if at an angle and should not be much of a problem.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds