Everyone ok?

More
2 years 2 months ago #556873 by Stikkibeek
Everyone ok? was created by Stikkibeek
We are getting hammered by the wind at present and the worst is yet to come. The wind has swung round to NNW now, so it's blasting straight in on our house. During the night we were getting the big pine "needles' down from our big Norfolk pine, and many of those landing on the roof as well as the cones coming down. At least those don't stay intact, they break up into bits about the size of large almonds, but still create a hell of a lot of noise as they hit the roof. We have a magic peach tree behind the house and it too is getting hammered. I do hope that tree survives and that we are left with some peaches as we look forward to it every year and they are not yet ripe. I picked up quite a few large Black-boys out of the orchard last night. Not yet ripe, but close enough to be able to peel and bottle, so we won't lose too many of them. Going to go out and brave the wind soon, to see what has come down from the neighbour's poplars. We have a sick goat and she will appreciate the treat. One of our deck chairs has gone for a walk, so have to locate and secure that. Will also have to go and check the hay paddocks on the flat, as they are in the lea of the trees along the creek, and the storm will likely leave a lot of debris down. Otherwise it might be inside jobs today

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #556879 by chocfish
Replied by chocfish on topic Everyone ok?
Bit blowy here even by Wellington standards! Ponies sensibly decided to spend most of the day in the stable. Sheep having a blast as heaps of apples and pears have blown down but figs just about hanging on!
We’re surrounded by mature pines (unfortunately) so one is self destructing on the track up to a hill paddock and another had toppled onto a boundary fence…but we had to trudge everything up by hand because it was accessible only by the blocked track..honestly I think Mother Nature can be very twisted sometimes!
Surprisingly we haven’t lost power ..yet…but back up battery on solar all full and wetback stocked and ready to go…bring it on!!!
(Disclaimer - please don’t really bring it on as I’ve just gotten dry from spending morning moving fallen tree…)

Crazy revolving door of dogs ponies and kids. ….

More
2 years 2 months ago #556885 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Everyone ok?
I spent yesterday morning moving a stack of roofing iron around, it was fairly calm at the time but I figured maybe MetService will get something right for a change. Just as I was finishing it started picking up, and an hour later it was all on here.

We lost 3 trees in our front shelter belt, but they were dead already and we were going to pull them out at the next opportunity. That turned out to be during the winds after they laid down on our boundary fence. No wires broken but a couple of isolators pulled out and I'll have to re-strain it. The fence needs work anyway so no big problem there.

We also lost a small pine out the back, not sure what kind it is but it's tall and thin with no significant branches. It's not completely down, I suspect either there's still some roots underground that are stopping it falling over completely. Thankfully it hasn't landed in the cropped area.

We have ponding in a couple of paddocks again, but only where there were already bare patches after the dumping in December that stopped any squash germinating there.

We're just really happy the 12 totara we relocated about 20 months ago are still standing. A couple leaned over in strong winds shortly after we moved them, and one went down completely, but ever since they seem to be stable.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
2 years 1 month ago #556989 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Everyone ok?
For whatever reason we've had less damage from this storm than those this year. Possibly because I've taken out approx 200 pines from our little one hectare property. Still have a hundred or so 25m+ pines/poplars/conifers that scare me every time we get a big blow. Trouble is I've felled all the 'easy' trees only the dodgy ones left!

More
2 years 1 month ago #556992 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Everyone ok?
Our choko vine took a hammering and there is only one trailing vine still green, so we are unlikely to get much fruit off it this year. The Peach tree also took a hammering and looks like it's been struck with a huge blow-torch. Thankfully still some peaches to enjoy. The cows are enjoying the fruit that was blown off, while we enjoy the rest.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds