any thoughts on why our ride-on mower is conking out?

More
7 months 1 week ago #556616 by arnna
Hi everyone, new member here and hoping to learn something from you and maybe fix this myself before I turn to our friendly local Stihl shop.

After an encounter with a piece of rope around its blades, which we managed to remove, our Jonsered ride-on mower was not starting. We jumpstarted it with the car and rode it around for 20 minutes not mowing to try and charge the battery, but when we engaged the mowing blades it mowed for about five-10 seconds before dying. If we disengage the mowing blades, it rides fine (if jumpstarted). And it won't start again.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? it's a pretty new battery and was serviced last year.

Thanks

** Initially posted in wrong forum sorry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #556618 by neil postie
Hi, don't know the brand but my John Deere had clutch problems that sounded similar. Try taking the deck belt off then putting it into gear and seeing if it dies, this may narrow it down to whether its a deck problem or something to do with the drive/motor

More
7 months 1 week ago #556623 by arnna

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #556666 by max2
Our ride on would snot itself if the blades were stuck by a huge lump of grass or such like. Once over that, as soon as the button was engaged to start mowing, then it wouldn't mow.

All to do with the belts driving underneath. OH attempted several times to fix it which turned out to be a temporary solution, but in the end, we sent it back to our local agent for full service and maintenance. All works very well now!

But not your brand mower either. Just a similar problem.
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by max2.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #556961 by jzd
Ditto Max2 . Absolutely identical situation, and yes, the belts had to be replaced

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #556963 by tonybaker
it's quite easy to remove mower deck and check that nothing is amiss, sometimes if the mower is run when blades are jammed, the belt gets burnt and then won't drive the blades.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #557136 by max2

Ditto Max2 . Absolutely identical situation, and yes, the belts had to be replaced

Hopefully we have solved the problem, a $1.70 bolt that holds one of the belt wheels (for want of a better word) in place, was bent and so the wheel was wobbling and the belt kept slipping off.

I noticed it happening more when I was driving from an uneven surface to a flatter area, despite the mower action being turned off.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #557160 by tonybaker
yes, it pays to remove the deck from time to time to check bolts and sharpen blades. It's an unpleasant job but the more you do it, the easier it is.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #557167 by max2

yes, it pays to remove the deck from time to time to check bolts and sharpen blades. It's an unpleasant job but the more you do it, the easier it is.

We had ours professionally serviced in December by the agent and then had a mechanic from the dealer out again late January with another belt coming off and starter motor failing...

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #557168 by tonybaker
when you look underneath, there is amaze of belts and gizmos to stop them coming off. It pays to become familiar with all this stuff or it will cost you heaps. The starter motor has a nylon cog that engages the flywheel. It is designed to wear before the flywheel does. You can turn this cog upside down to get a bit more life out of it. It's quite simple to do this. The other part that wears is the quadrant on the bottom of the steering column. A lot of debris gets caught in that area and wears the teeth off then the steering will jump a few teeth causing difficult steering.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #557170 by max2
Apparently, in our starter motor, there was a metal? clip that had been sheared. Not sure how or why, I was shown it by the mechanic, and he went back to fabricate a stronger one.

However, I really felt this should have been picked up at the service as the mower was only used once after picking it up in late December

Hubby usually does the belts, it's just that it has become very frequent recently that the mower belt keeps slipping off. I know to look out for the spring if I then head to home, so it was pleasing to find the bent bolt this time around as a possible explanation as to why the slipping.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #557171 by tonybaker
If it is a Briggs n Stratton motor, that clip is called a C clip and they are a devil to get on and off. You can't buy just the clip, only the drive assembly. It is p/n 552748 from JustParts. I suspect that if the "mechanic" has bodged it, you will need the new assembly soon! This part is hidden behind a shield so you won't see it anyway. Regarding the drive belt, if it has come off or has been slipping and got hot, the belt can lose its structure and twist, making it come off at the slightest excuse.

More
1 month 1 week ago #557590 by DougV
Pulleys and the spindles (those wheels and bolts that hold the belts) need greasing and maintaining.
Aged belts, or belts that may have stretched through aging become sloppy and jump off when an unusual load event occurs (jammed blades is common). The manual should describe how to release the tension and re-fit the belt without stretching over the side of the pulley. Make sure to re-set the tension system.
Regular belt tension checking and replacing is normal maintenance and an ongoing cost of operating mowers.
All of my clients own Ride-On Mowers but engage us as they are fed up with the R & M issues.
( we run a large -format mowing business in rural Northland)

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #557680 by OurPatchOfDirt
i have imported and distributed batteries for some time. For anyone reading this post Ride on batteries are a favorite easy seller as few owners take care of their battery. Current batteries cannot be jump started from flat and charged via "running off the alternator". If these batteries are flattened it needs a full over night charge on a modern multistage charger or it wont be charged. Part charged batteries fail early and can cause/lead to ignition and running issues if the battery is not buffering the load to stabilize the charge voltage. Same applies to car batteries it would take hours of driving at full RPM to recharge a flat battery to fully charged. A couple of over night battery charging sessions over winter will keep a quality ride-on battery going well for years - just my thoughts

More
2 weeks 15 hours ago #557683 by tonybaker
Great info, it's a bit like caravan tyres - they rarely wear out but tend to rot over time. I find that the charging system on mowers is not great and can only just cope with even the smallest battery. I use one of those CTEK 5 amp  chargers that has a recondition function and it seems to do the job. Supercheap Auto has a special on small batteries at the moment.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds