Electric UTV

More
2 years 3 months ago #556604 by chocfish
Electric UTV was created by chocfish
Hello lovely LSB whanau! Hope everyone is managing to get some r and r in between the silly season and the crazy weather
I’ve decided I’m too old to be dragging Baylage / fencing gear / food / my sorry ass all over the property by foot so am looking at getting a UTV…thing is I want an electric one…
We already drive electric and have a solar set up so it would really hurt to do petrol!
I’ve narrowed it down to the switch E3 or an applestone side by side but there’s about $10k difference
Anyone have any experience of the above - or something I may have missed?
Criteria - must have a tipper tray and lithium iron batteries anything else is a plus
Hugest thanks in advance. X

Crazy revolving door of dogs ponies and kids. ….

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556605 by PatrickHerd
Replied by PatrickHerd on topic Electric UTV
Three wheelers are super dangerous, I wouldn't buy one unless your property is dead flat.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556606 by chocfish
Replied by chocfish on topic Electric UTV
Are you speaking of experience with the E3 specifically or any 3 wheelers? I’d agree with you but they reckon because it’s lower you always have 3 points of contact. The videos certainly show it coping with hills!

More
2 years 3 months ago #556607 by PatrickHerd
Three wheelers in general, they're not going to show anything that in a promo video that looks sketchy :-)

More
2 years 3 months ago #556608 by chocfish
And I agree with you on both points there! E3 is longer and wider than a conventional side by side and you’re seated way lower so I can see how they state its more stable. …

More
2 years 3 months ago #556634 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Electric UTV
Hi there, I'd really like an electric UTV also! Can you tell me what criteria you used to choose, I've been looking (window shopping).

More
2 years 3 months ago #556637 by chocfish
Yeah sure! I quickly discounted the lead acid ones (Polaris) as I want the battery to last as long as possible. It didn’t need to be huge so the Tuatara was out (3 people across) and the guys at John Deere (gator) never got back to me..
That really leaves me with the E3 from switch ev - pros..it’s basically a bike mechanism (chain driven) and is enclosed so zero maintenance. It’s super well built so can be left outside. The battery should last me ages (about 35km range as speed limited). It can tow, it’s Nz designed and built. Cons..I can’t quite get past the 3 wheels (I think I really need to test drive one). The tipper tray is manual and slightly smaller than a conventional side by side. They’re waiting on parts so can’t get one just yet. Price is $19,800 + gst
Or there’s applestones eutv. Pros. They have one in stock. Bigger tipper tray. 2wd/ 4wd. windscreen + wiper+ hardtop + could have winch fitted if wanted. Cons. Tipper tray and hinges are plastic so would have to upgrade to steel ($700). Warranty on battery is only 6 months! Warranty on vehicle is 2 years but has to be serviced every 3 months at approved garage! Cost (base model is ($25,100+ gst + $1,200 deliver (chch to welly) + tray upgrade….
Not sure I can really justify that kind of $$ when I dislike that warranty that much!!
My Wishlist was - Li-Ion battery’s. 2 seats. Tipper tray. Anything else is a bonus!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaybee

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #556640 by PatrickHerd
To me a six month warranty for a lithium battery is a really big red flag, they should have way more confidence in the product than that.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by PatrickHerd.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556641 by chocfish
Yeah that’s why I was trying to see if anyone had one - it concerns me too!

More
2 years 3 months ago #556642 by lsbloke
Replied by lsbloke on topic Electric UTV
Kia ora tatou

Yup we've loved our petrol Polaris - done everything we've asked over 10 years and had no probs (maybe a bit too noisy but we just wear earprotection)

we are looking too at electric

deffo 4 wheels 3 seems really dangerous
deffo tipper tray - really useful

our local Polaris dudes kind of hinted their EV was not optimal for really wet conditions nor for being out in the rain so thats something we'd need to look at hard as ours lives mostly outside

we'd also want above the HP our 400cc machine delivers - its the minimum we can live with and more would often be welcome when towing stock around in the trailer.

Good to hear if folk have had good experiences yet with EV side by sides esp on steeper clay country

LSBloke

More
2 years 3 months ago #556643 by PatrickHerd
Re: the power thing, remember that an electric motor can deliver way more torque over a much bigger rev range than a petrol or diesel motor.
Our Nissan leaf at only 80kW and 1600kg can obliterate a lot of vehicles considered fast off the line or through the twisties.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556649 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Electric UTV
We've pondered this ourselves - for situations where getting the tractor out is too much hassle, it'd be nice to have a jump-in-and-go push button option. We used to have a Leaf but sold it when we moved out of town, but realised it would actually be perfect for what we require.

So we're considering picking up the cheapest Leaf we can find, then cutting off everything behind the front seats and mounting a roll hoop and tipper tray. A decent set of paddock-appropriate tyres and it's good to go. It wouldn't be road-legal, but then it wouldn't need to be. I'm sure with a little more engineering thought it could be though - issues such as exhaust gas exclusion aren't a concern but rear crash protection would require consideration.

This may not work for everyone, of course, as our land is nearly all flat so getting stuck is less of a concern.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
2 years 3 months ago #556651 by chocfish
Lol. I had exactly the same thought process when I looked at our little Mitzi imiev - it’s not a completely daft idea if I can just find some way of modding it so better tyres could be put on it, bung a tow bar on, maybe better suspension…and a way of possibly making 4WD an option… if it’s possible and comes in at less that $15k that’s still cheaper than a Utv and I know she still gets easily 70km on hills on a full charge!

More
2 years 3 months ago #556652 by PatrickHerd
I dunno about the iMiev but the leaf traction control system is pretty amazing in muddy conditions, I've successfully "swum" across one of our paddocks whilst towing a 500kg trailer without incident.
If you did want to go down the conversion route, NISMO make a limited slip differential for the LEAF which would improve traction massively :-)

More
2 years 3 months ago #556656 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Electric UTV
From memory the Leaf shares many suspension components with the Juke as well, so that could be a source for parts.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds