Solar water pumps

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #556592 by neil postie
Hi all and merry new year and all that. Does anyone here use a solar water pump? At present we are using a petrol pump to get water from a spring to our main tank. During these hot days we're pumping every day which costs in terms of dollars and CO2. We need to pump about 7 to 10 cubic metres a day in summer, heaps less in winter but its a 95m head. here seems to be many on the net that could easily do this but has anyone got any recommendations or warnings?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #556593 by PatrickHerd
Replied by PatrickHerd on topic Solar water pumps
A friend has a DIY system I helped him put together, similar head and daily demand to you.
It uses a Davies pump, aliexpress 48V scooter motor, 4x car batteries and 400W of panels.
It has been working pretty much flawlessly since early 2020.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neil postie

More
7 months 1 week ago #556596 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Solar water pumps
95 m head may be a challenge, you may have to do it in stages, 2 x 45 m and tanks.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 months 1 week ago #556598 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Solar water pumps
Hi Paterick, would be interested in hearing more about this, I already have a HP Davis pump that runs of a petrol engine. Should be pretty easy to hook up a electric system to that

More
7 months 1 week ago #556599 by neil postie
Hi Tony, it will have to be in one go, its a 300 metres through heavy bush between the spring and the tank, the pump I have at present does it, just petrol driven, uses about 250 litres a year so worth the investment in a solar set up
I was looking at these guys
www.solarwaterpump.co.nz/pump-solar-kits-1

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #556600 by PatrickHerd
Replied by PatrickHerd on topic Solar water pumps
John's thread on the pump setup here
It was originally on a Lister 0.75hp which died during lockdown.
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by PatrickHerd.

More
1 week 4 days ago #557689 by neil postie
Hi all, just an update, at the advice of someone who knew this stuff I imported a Difful pump from China, They said it would do the job, it didn't. Very well made but under powered. So back to the NZ react pump which I installed a couple of days ago. Yesterday was all day sun and the solar was getting the sun from about 10am to 3pm and it pumped over 3700 litres up to our tank 95 meters up and 350m sideways. Very happy and would recommend them.

More
1 week 3 days ago #557690 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Solar water pumps
I am anticipating replacing an old Grundfos deep well pump some time in the near future so any info would be appreciated. I am pumping from 40 metres to an open storage tank, with another small domestic pump supplying pressure to the house etc. so it does not matter if the volume is low as long as I can pump slowly throughout the day. Last time I looked at solar, there was nothing that could do the job. What's your thoughts and are you going to do anything about the Chinese pump?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #557691 by neil postie
Hi Tony, more than happy to discus, email me on [email protected] and I can give more details. What happened to the private messenger function on this site?

Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by neil postie. Reason: change

More
1 week 2 days ago #557692 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Solar water pumps

What happened to the private messenger function on this site?

We had to move to the last version of Joomla and the private message software we used is not compatible. I'm looking for an alternative....

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds