Not sure if my hen is egg bound or not

More
2 years 7 months ago #556105 by Tessa
One of my hens is a bit listless and her abdomen seems swollen and so I thought she was egg bound. I have done all the right things but it doesn't feel as if there is an egg in there. I have brought her inside and her eyes are still nice and bright and her comb hasn't flopped but she is droopy and doesn't really want to stand. I've been hand feeding her as well as water and she takes some of each but not much at all. Any suggestions what I should do or what is the problem? I have massaged her as well as warm baths but nothing and they say if she's egg bound and doesn't pass it within 48 hours, she will die. She's been like this for a few days now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #556126 by smudge
I have no advice to offer Tessa but in my experience once a chook looks doomed it generally is

More
2 years 6 months ago #556150 by Sue
Rather than being egg bound, a term used to mean a ready shelled egg not able to be passed, a more likely scenario is egg peritonitis. This is an infection in the abdominal cavity due to yolk material being present there instead of passing from the ovary down the oviduct to be shelled and instead setting up an infection around the intestines. Another possibility is a build up of fluid ' water belly' or ascites. Usually the result of infection and fluid leaking out from the tissues and collecting in the abdominal cavity. Other possibilities fat or a tumour. Sorry, probably not a good outcome.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds