Locked down!

More
2 years 8 months ago #555594 by Ruth
Locked down! was created by Ruth
Is all well with everyone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #555595 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Locked down!
All good here B)

How about you?

Web Goddess

More
2 years 8 months ago #555597 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Locked down!
Too ill to travel, can't leave in any case until I get the result back from yesterday morning's Covid test - how prescient was that?!!!

I'll carry on with an altered holiday, Stephan will carry on doing everything at home as planned. I'll only start to worry if things are still locked down by the time I would have been going home.

Background for anyone interested:I left home on the 7th and wandered down te ika a Māui over the next week, a couple of nights here, three there, seeing lovely people all the way ... As I drove into Tauranga the news was all about the port workers on the infected ship. Covid Central! I think that all proved fine, at least there was no more news afterwards.
Sunday night I got sick, but in consultation with family in Petone, decided to come on down so I could hunker down somewhere I could be looked after and here I remain. Got a Covid test yesterday morning primarily so that if I got better enough by Thursday or Friday, I could, with a negative test result, catch my flight to Christchurch for a week down there. Then not long after I got home from the test place, the news broke of the Auckland case. Presumably my test result is being held up by the inevitable panic yesterday afternoon and today.

I'll miss the 48 hours for getting home but wasn't due home for a couple of weeks anyway. I'll wait, see what happens next, apply for a travel permit (presuming such a thing might exist) to go when I'm well, when there isn't snow on the Desert Road, and get home by the planned necessary time for antenatal cow care and calving.

In the mean time I am sitting in a warm apartment looking down on a city intersection, watching the world go by and shouting at idiots without masks who can't hear me. Highly entertaining for a country dweller. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalmara

More
2 years 8 months ago #555598 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Locked down!
So pleased you are keeping warm and being nursed appropriately! Awful weather last night here, and another little bull born in to it. I lay in bed listening to thunder and heavy rain hoping there wouldnt be any new arrivals. Lets hope the outbreak is contained quickly and the rest of the country can return to normal. The dog obedience show we are entered in Saturday and Sunday looks likely to be cancelled though.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
2 years 8 months ago #555599 by Ruth
All my Christchurch things have been cancelled, tickets refunded, etc. Another time maybe.

Covid test negative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalmara

More
2 years 8 months ago #555603 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Locked down!
Well, that's good news Ruth.

Once again our small business and our only source of income has been put on hold. Think of all those people out there who are the backbone of the economy that are being hung out to dry while the politicians, professionals and government workers pat each other on the back and witter on about how much they enjoy working from home.

My blood pressure is rising by the minute!!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
2 years 8 months ago #555604 by Ruth
Pretty shitty for many but on the other hand many of us are grateful for the decisive government action. If we were all in danger of getting sick with spiraling case numbers, how healthy would the economy and small businesses remain?

More
2 years 8 months ago #555608 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Locked down!
We had just one job left to get the new chook house up and useful (Roof ridge, supplier non essential....says who! Grrr) ) so it's a blow to my over crowded chooks and the need to have decent clean nest boxes to lay in.....but what the hell!.... I can't sell the eggs at the moment anyway

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 8 months ago #555609 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Locked down!
the recent heavy rains have been a disaster for my chooks, maybe they think they are ducks now!. Thanks to the big storm lately there were several trampolines being given away so i made a moveable chook house. It took 15m of chook netting and one sheet of 7mm ply to fill in the sides. Not sure if I need to tie it down? At least now i can move them to fresh grass.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 8 months ago #555653 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Locked down!
The only serious drawback to living in the Far North is that all roads and all flights in or out go through Auckland. So if we are at say Level 2 while Auckland is still at Level 4, we remain isolated from the rest of the world. But that's a small price to pay for living here!

More
2 years 8 months ago #555658 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Locked down!
So sorry to hear you were unwell Ruth, good news on the test front though!

We are well, we were very close to two of the Auckland places of interest, but fortunately some hours off the appropriate time.

In the meanwhile more tree planting going on that were waiting for months and months for the right time although the OH is currently putting in another gate to a paddock where the sheep congregate each time we try to move them out.

I visited our ''local'' supermarket yesterday and thanked my lucky stars we have home kill in the freezer, and the chooks are laying again. Absolutely no fresh meat in the refrigerated shelving and little left of eggs.

More
2 years 8 months ago #555665 by max2

We had just one job left to get the new chook house up and useful (Roof ridge, supplier non essential....says who! Grrr) ) so it's a blow to my over crowded chooks and the need to have decent clean nest boxes to lay in.....but what the hell!.... I can't sell the eggs at the moment anyway

I'm hearing you!

NZ Steel are allowed to continue on in level 4 although have fallen behind since first lockdown in March 2020 plus the increased demand for roofing materials.

It's created all sorts of issues with the roll form manufacturers who receive the flat coils from NZ Steel who never know what coil colour they are receiving.

In the meanwhile, this lockdown and the ones previously, the roll form manufacturers haven't received clearance to open as an essential business....

And so the rest of us in the building industry have our hands tied completely as we are not supposed to work unless its a health issue, in which case we cannot source the material from the roll form manufacturer to remedy...

ARGHH.

More
2 years 8 months ago #555666 by max2

Pretty shitty for many but on the other hand many of us are grateful for the decisive government action. If we were all in danger of getting sick with spiraling case numbers, how healthy would the economy and small businesses remain?

The decisive action that allowed people to leave Auckland and spread it willy nilly through the rest of the (current) north island.... ? yeah nah.

This small business has been staying at home since told to do so. That opportunity last week for people to hop on flights or drive out of Auckland should have been stopped immediately. Not everyone has been in lockdown.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds