On farm security...

More
2 years 10 months ago #555129 by chocfish
On farm security... was created by chocfish
Hi team.
Needing some advice - there’s been an increase in undesirable activity around our way so I think we’re going to have to bite the bullet and get cameras :(
Ideally they would be up at the end of the drive as you have to use the bridge to get to our place but there’s no power or wifi there and cell reception is patchy at best!
Wondering what other folks have used and how easy set up / costs / pic quality etc was for them.
Many thanks

Crazy revolving door of dogs ponies and kids. ….

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #555130 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic On farm security...
We are with a small internet service provider at home so bit the bullet and had it put on elsewhere for an extra $25 per month and we changed from sim card cameras to Arlo's which so far I'm happy with.

The trouble with the sim card cameras was not getting enough height inside ''buildings'' to stop the thieves from taking the cameras and they can be obvious with their lights. With the Arlo range, they report back to your mobile so even if they take the camera, it's already recorded elsewhere.

I have a subscription plan with Arlo and generally happy with what that provides.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a driveway alert system as well. The ones advertised in the Ag trader have a better range than the ones at Noel L (nothing at HN when I went in and enquired) although I have yet to buy one.

Having gone through 2 shed robberies and having trespassers on our property, a good thing to do is not keep to a routine. The last trespasser OH caught/found on our property was trying to get back out again before OH arrived unexpectedly.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by max2. Reason: grammar

More
2 years 10 months ago #555134 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic On farm security...
Hope he was prosecuted Max

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 10 months ago #555139 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic On farm security...
I think you have to make it difficult for them to get down the drive, thieves are lazy so won't want to make much effort. It's no use taking photos of them as the police are not interested and there will always be more villains even if they catch some of them. make it hard for them to get a vehicle down the drive.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
2 years 10 months ago #555140 by max2

tonybaker wrote: I think you have to make it difficult for them to get down the drive, thieves are lazy so won't want to make much effort. It's no use taking photos of them as the police are not interested and there will always be more villains even if they catch some of them. make it hard for them to get a vehicle down the drive.

In our cases, one lot came through an adjoining paddock, and the other, they walked in from the road, jumping the locked gate, but cutting the padlock on the shed. Spent a bit of time in there fingering odd bits and pieces on the OH's tables.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555142 by max2

Stikkibeek wrote: Hope he was prosecuted Max

Warned. Although it was our choice as to how the police were going to proceed.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555144 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic On farm security...

max2 wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote: Hope he was prosecuted Max

Warned. Although it was our choice as to how the police were going to proceed.

The fingerprint expert in our case looked as if he was already dreaming of a beach lifestyle. He told us that just because a person's fingerprint were in our shed, it didn't mean that they stole anything.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 10 months ago #555146 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic On farm security...
this is my point in the post above, it's very hard legally to prove theft, and if you try to apprehend the suspect, you risk prosecution or retaliation your self. Far better to concentrate on making it difficult or inconvenient for them to spot the goodies.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 10 months ago #555152 by max2

tonybaker wrote: this is my point in the post above, it's very hard legally to prove theft, and if you try to apprehend the suspect, you risk prosecution or retaliation your self. Far better to concentrate on making it difficult or inconvenient for them to spot the goodies.

the former (absent) owner of our property had the front gate hot wired. Not a big bang, but certainly enough to deter anyone hopping over it.

I think back not so long ago and remember what we used to leave locked up in the bach. Wouldn't dare do it now. Didn't worry about cameras or anything unusual re security, normal paddock on bach and gate, keys still in car parked inside. Would have the odd friend drop by to rattle the locks but never had an inch of trouble and I think police management/judical system needs to take a step back to those times and see what has changed because nothing seems to deter those who want to steal now.

More
2 years 10 months ago #555153 by max2

Stikkibeek wrote:
The fingerprint expert in our case looked as if he was already dreaming of a beach lifestyle. He told us that just because a person's fingerprint were in our shed, it didn't mean that they stole anything.

''Lucky'' you, we got a call that said it wasn't worth their while coming out, because sheds are dusty and wouldn't give good prints. (Despite certain tools and equipment being picked up and moved about).

More
2 years 9 months ago #555237 by rees777
Replied by rees777 on topic On farm security...
We purchased hunting trail cameras on Trade Me which are camoflaged and work day and night - around $80 each. They take really good images and also videos. We placed them in various locations around our property. We then put up security camera notices in various prominent locations. And we have also locked the main gate up to our property, and we put another locked gate half way up the driveway. Its a pain when we go out but we are hoping it will deter burglars coming in. We don't have much worth stealing but the little we do have is precious to us. All the best with your burglar proofing efforts.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555345 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic On farm security...
We have a reasonably comprehensive suite of cameras built around the Ubiquiti UniFi system, which integrates with our wireless LAN and logs to a surveillance NVR with an 8TB surveillance hard drive. It can be expanded up to 64 cameras if we go fully paranoid.

However, that's all passive security, and really the Police are only interested if we get footage of people doing burnouts on the road outside. For active security we have automated front gates and garages, warning signs, multiple locks and bolts on each door, and so on. It sounds like overkill but once you add up all your implements you'll be surprised how much money you've sunk into assets.

A good guard dog is always handy, and if all else fails having a bull on site is a pretty good deterrent too. ;)

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

More
2 years 9 months ago #555357 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic On farm security...
Finally got back from the far end of the driveway. :P

These are the motors we use on our gates:
aero.net.nz/products/vantage-500-linear-swing-gate-motors

...with code-hopping remotes and associated receiver, although I can't find the receiver model number.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds