Border Collie food recommendations

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #554533 by Blinkybill
Hi, I am picking up a Border Collie puppy in a couple of weeks. I’m keen to identify food of a good quality for a healthy diet - dog roll and foods heavy on grain don’t do it for me or dogs as I understand it.

I’ve heard Ziwi Peak is pretty good. What recommendations do you all have?

The dog is a companion animal, not a hard-out working dog. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #554536 by D_Carter
For our beardie we give him the following
Mighty Mix + a slice of Possyum and good quality cod liver oil tables in the morning
Mighty Mix and a chicken frame in the evening.
He is a bigger than normal sized beardie (40kgs) so you'll need to adjust to your dog size
D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #554540 by 16 Paws
If he’s a puppy, you’d be better off with a feed specifically for puppies? There’s several low/no grain options out there. Ziwi seemed to be one of the most expensive when I looked. I suspect all complete and balanced options are fine for 95% of dogs, with the other 5% before more fastidious for some reason. Our latest puppy had Hills, mainly became we had vouchers for it, and thrived (not a border collie but very active)
Out of interest, our older dog has just switched to dog roll - Chunky (the non-possum version of possyum) and it’s been the only food he doesn’t periodically regurgitate after meals. It’s also complete/balanced and doesn’t need refrigeration until cut into. And is clean, not greasy, messy or crumbly. Just mentioning it as an optional not to be ruled out later. Biscuits don’t suit all dogs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #554543 by Kalmara
I trust the breeder will give you a diet sheet & some food that the pup is currently eating. BC's are very high energy dogs and too much protein (as found in many dry foods) is not a good option. I'd look at an all raw diet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #554561 by Anakei
I give my border collie cross a raw food diet - Jimbos from Countdown. I used to get it in bulk but its easier to buy a few each week and doesn't fill up the freezer. I keep a bag of Optimum (countdown) for emergencies in the earthquake pack.
When we got him he was being fed the cheapest supermarket food and we gradually switched him over to raw food. His coat became shiny, he lost that "doggy " smell, his teeth and gums are good and his breath doesn't smell, and he doesn't fart :lol: Important as he is an inside dog! We supplement with veal bones but have to watch that he doesn't chuck them up again. The vet thinks he's the healthiest dog he's seen and he's 9!
The only thing I had to watch with the raw diet was keeping weight on him. For his weight he is supposed to get 500g raw food a day but for Badger it is closer to 650g.
The cat loves the raw food as well.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalmara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #554564 by Blinkybill
Thanks for the suggestions so far, and thanks for the picture of the lovely dog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds