Sheep advice for home quarter acre.

More
3 years 3 months ago #553631 by Simeon
I have recently been asked if I could look after a vacant small town property in Bluff.

Owners live in North Island and want to keep for a holiday house.

By way of building a fence to keep stock in and putting some stock in to keep the lawns down. In exchange I would get a cut of the meat.

Any advice for this as I have never looked after a sheep so unsure of how many and whether I will need to fed them during winter etc.

Also the section had very old overgrown grass on it which has been chopped right back and taken away. No trees just grass and a house. Im aware they will need some sort of water trough.

Is there a minimum height to keep the sheep in as the back west fence is lower than the rest. Steel mesh fence.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #553632 by Simeon
There is also the question of if this is even something that I want to take on, whether it would to much to maintain, to much worry.

More
3 years 3 months ago #553645 by tonybaker
If you have to buy lambs, then it's not worth the bother unless the owner supplies the lambs.
If you do go ahead, make sure you get self shedding sheep like Dorpers or Wiltshires or you will have to employ a shearer.
Don't be tempted to buy a goat!
Rather odd that owners want a holiday house in Bluff and live in Auckland!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simeon

More
3 years 3 months ago #553650 by LongRidge
Good on you for asking :-). Real farmers budget on 4 sheep per acre per year on moderately fertilised pasture grasses. Sheep need sheep for company. A lonely sheep goes looking for company.
Don't do it.

More
3 years 3 months ago #553658 by Cigar
In many towns you are allowed to keep hens on your section, but not roosters or any other livestock (sheep, cattle, etc). Sheep are generally a bad idea anyway, due to the risk from dogs.

More
3 years 3 months ago #553681 by smudge
A quarter acre isn't really big enough as you will need more than one or two sheep. Dogs will be an issue

More
3 years 3 months ago #553682 by Muz1
Theft is something to consider also from an unoccupied section.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
3 years 3 months ago #553703 by Si
I have 3 sheep (Cameroon's) on one acre with my house in the middle. Ok I'm not in NZ but they have well trodden paths, loads of pooh round the house ( cleaned daily) and along with 10 hchickens and 4 rabbits get through at least 60 bales of hay a year. So for a garden with less than an acre I would not recommend sheep. Maybe if you visit daily, or have someone that could continental giant bunnies one male one female both neutered might be an option. But will still need hay and produce lots of pooh, plus a house. But will not dig like smaller bunnies or damage grass like hooves do.

More
3 years 3 months ago #553710 by linrae
Owner lives nearly 1000km from site.
Don't go anywhere near this arrangement.
IF u are friends forget that within 3 months Guarantee it

More
3 years 3 months ago #553713 by kate
On top of all of this there are very strict regulations against selling or bartering home kill meat so that could be a problem.

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds