Home kill lamb hanging query

More
3 years 4 months ago #553455 by Simeon
Recently I was offered a lamb from a family friend. It is now in my freezer. First time I've done this.

My query is is it safe to hang meat in a warm environment.? Obviously not ideal. A little worried bout the meat. Now that I've been on Google.lol

We slaughtered them in the afternoon and hung them overnight. It would of been at least 20 degree celcius at the time. Overnight temp 10 degree celcius. I'm worried as I've researched that should be between 2-6 degrees. For at least a week. These would of hung for only 15-20 hours also.

I know ideally a chiller would be best, but the farm never had one. I also think it would of been slightly cooler to hang them under a tree than on the old shearing shed.

Meat was wrapped in mutton cloth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #553456 by Stikkibeek
ideally you are right about cool being best, but you also need to protect from flies but I expect the mutton cloth should have done it's job. Yes hanging for at least a week is good because it allows the muscles to relax and the meat is then more tender, but you cannot expect to do that without a proper cooler and an old concrete tank is a good substitute if you cut out a doorway can put a fly screen door on it. My father used to use the old hen house which worked well. Where he had openings such as chicken wire windows, he covered with fly screen mesh so that it excluded all flies. He didn't hang them for a week though as not cool enough for that.
If the meat smells good, then there will be nothing wrong with the cooked product. Fairly easy to educate your sense of smell to "good" or "off" meat as long as you have normal scent detection in your nose.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simeon

More
3 years 4 months ago #553457 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Home kill lamb hanging query
Simeon, your lamb will be fine and you should get some good eating.

Mutton and pork don't need to be hung for anymore than 12-24 hours and if you have a chiller, that is all to the good but most of us don't. Neither pork or mutton need to be aged, hanging is for the purpose of stretching the muscles and allowing the meat to "set" which makes it much easier to butcher. Cattle are another kettle of fish altogether and not what you're asking about so leave that for another day.

We hung a hogget a week ago. Hot day with a lower night temperature. Filled the gut cavity with water frozen in wine bladders. Split it in the morning and put the quarters into the beer fridge and processed that evening. Had a leg roast on Sunday and it was to die for.

Google can be a wonderful asset but don't take on board everything it says. You will learn as you go.

Cheers, Ronnie

More
3 years 4 months ago #553459 by Simeon
Replied by Simeon on topic Home kill lamb hanging query
Thanks Ronnie.

More
3 years 4 months ago #553478 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Home kill lamb hanging query
I kill in the afternoon or evening, hang in the tree overnight (in a Stoney Creek portable meatsafe), I look at the forecast and try to pick a cool night.
Next morning break down into shoulders, hindquarters and sides, and into the spare fridge.
Two to four days later I complete the cutting up and freeze.

What I have been told is that meat is best eaten very fresh before rigour mortis sets in, or after rigour, which is roughly 2 days after death, and freezing should take place after rigour.

More
3 years 4 months ago #553486 by tonybaker
I hang my lamb carcase in the hay shed and leave a fan blowing air onto it. Of course you want to wrap in an old sheet or something, but not too tight. I believe that the reason for hanging is to allow the enzymes to work on the meat, anyway, there aren't many germs that can survive an hour in the oven. A few days in the fridge is ok if you don't want to hang it in the open.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 years 3 months ago #553548 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Home kill lamb hanging query
It will be fine

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds