Gorse - best solution?

More
1 year 9 months ago #552776 by vorno
Gorse - best solution? was created by vorno
Good morning folks,

So, I've got a lot of gorse to tackle and am wondering what the best way to go about it is.
I live on very hilly land so a tractor is not a choice.

I believe my best bet is buying a brush cutter - but then I wouldn't know what type of head would be the best option as well?
I've got MSF-600 but as you can see, I can't actually get to the gorse! So I'm thinking cut all the gorse down and then spray the stumps?

Or can you make a "gel/paint" out of MSF-600 and paint the stumps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #552777 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Gorse - best solution?
Hi :)
You're going to get a lot of advice on this particular subject so you'll be able to pick about and do what suits you best.

For me, looking at the photo, I see two huge problems - gorse AND tobacco weed, and I don't know which one I loathe the most. You are going to have to tackle the tobacco weed too because it will take over very quickly. If this were mine I would go all out and spray the lot. It doesn't look to be too big yet and should be doable. I'm not much fussed on sprays but I doubt you would keep on top of it doing it manually and this will be an on-going job.

Good luck and enjoy your piece of land.
Cheers,
Ronnie
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Ronney.

More
1 year 9 months ago #552778 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Gorse - best solution?
Tordon Brush killer is your best bet on this hilly site. It will also kill that nasty toxic tobaco weed too, won't damage any grass and will clean up the hillside. You'll start to notice the spray's effect within days of spraying as it begins to change colour. Also very good on blackberries. Spot spray or pull out any germinating seedlings as a follow-up. Two seasons of spraying and ours is gone.
Follow the safe handling advice on the fact sheet.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
1 year 9 months ago #552779 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Gorse - best solution?
I would suggest to make sure your fences are secure as after you have sprayed, you will need to graze heavily to dominate any regrowth. No doubt you have been told of gorse's legendary reseeding ability. Cattle or pigs are a good choice.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
1 year 9 months ago #552780 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Gorse - best solution?
If you are able to push your way through the gorse with a backpack sprayer, then don't cut it before spraying. The more green on the plant then the better the absorption of the metsulfuron. If you do it now, and you should, then you will need to do it again in a couple of months when the petals have gone. Flower petals do not absorb the poison.
Gorse growth is an indication of low fertility (for what pasture plants need), so you will need to fertilise with a nitrate to help the grass to grow, and a sulphate to encourage the clover. Lime is probably needed to. The fertiliser can be done by hand but the lime needs a couple of tonnes per hectare so is very hard work to get on by hand.

More
1 year 9 months ago #552818 by vorno
Replied by vorno on topic Gorse - best solution?
Anyone wanting to swap my MSF-600 (unopened) for some Tordon Brushkiller in that case?!

Can't use a backpack as areas are too thick to walk through - so have to cut down first!

I assume that you can just make a concentrated "paste / gel" to use as "paint" for stumps?

More
1 year 9 months ago #552822 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Gorse - best solution?
Your MSF-600 is fine for swabbing stumps - it's the same chemical as Associate 600WSG which I use (according to the instructions)at a rate of 5 grams per litre for stump swabbing. It also kills other nasties like Privet and Woolly nightshade.

We have a scrubcutter but actually the chainsaw is more effective. Cutting and swabbing the stumps is safer than spraying a lot of chemical onto large patch like that with just a backpack, that's how I'd attack it. Once you've got it cleared you need to spray the area for seedling gorse each year, although it's possible to pull out seedling Woolly nightshade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vorno

More
1 year 9 months ago #552826 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Gorse - best solution?
Use a tri blade ( www.stihl.co.nz/reeds-and-bushes.aspx ) to do small stuff like this. I use 1/10 tordon brush killer/water in a smallish squirt bottle, something like the ones you get cleaning stuff in at the super market or from the $2 shop, about 750ml. Make sure the whole (and every) stump is covered. To hold it I have cut about 1/4 out of the top of a plastic 2 litre milk bottle and loop a belt through the handle so it can be worn on the hip. The poison bottle sits in this which makes it way easier to reach rather than having to pick it up off the ground all the time.

More
1 year 9 months ago #552833 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Gorse - best solution?
I have found that when using a scrubcutter and a poison/water mix, adding one drop of a spray dye to the mixture. Then you can see which stumps have not been poisoned since the previous machine stop, and also not re-do the stumps that have been done. If you are going to burn the cuttings, move them to the fire site as soon as possible. Gorse seeds germinate better if they have been heated, so burn in as few places as possible, and also in a place that is easily accessible so seedlings can be sprayed before they get big.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #552901 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Gorse - best solution?
Some great ideas here. Spray dye is indeed very useful - also, if you have a squeezy bottle, you can mix a bit of wallpaper paste into the poison/water/dye to make a gel which will hold onto the stumps better.

Also, although gorse seeds live forever, Woolly nightshade (tobacco weed) seeds only live for 2 years, so if you don't let any of them make seed for 2 years you'll be relatively free of it.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Furball.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #557308 by Osborne
Replied by Osborne on topic Gorse - best solution?
Just went with Tordon/Pulse/Dye with a Solo 441 electric backpack sprayer. My advice: exactly as describe above (add Tordon first, then dye, then water, then Pulse). Also: practice once with just water to identify where you might spill drops or have leaks. Shake your sprayer when full of water (mine came without a lid gasket and gushed from the lid--Agrispray sent me a gasket after I called, and they said it was a known problem with those models--would have been great if they told me when I bought the unit). Wear an old rain jacket, rain pants, gum boots and goggles in case you get splashed and as you move about and brush up against a plant that you sprayed.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #557321 by kairara
Replied by kairara on topic Gorse - best solution?
Liked the idea of mixing in wallpaper paste, will try to remember this when next tackling gorse.

Live in Northland NZ. 30 sheep mostly East Friesians, 5 cows,70 acreas mostly trees Lifestyle Block.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds