Minimum number of stock for transport

More
3 years 9 months ago #551856 by TeamSuperTed
Hi all, wondering what the minimum number of sheep I can get transported by a company is?

As with all things, I have decided to make my own life hard and the breeders I'm looking at are hours away from me - too far to make collecting them myself financially viable as I'm only after 2x ewes! Have heard mixed experiences about people's sole stud rams getting lifts but this is rather a distance (Manawatu-North Auckland/Hawke's Bay-North Auckland).

Cheers.

6 horses. 2 sheep. 1 lurcher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #551858 by LongRidge
If you insist on her being transported by herself then it will cost you more than if she is put in a pen with others then separated at the appropriate time. She would probably be safer in with others, because sheep usually travel much better when they are with any other sheep rather than none at all. Also, when the pen is packed tight they get fewer injuries from being thrown forward and backward and sideways. You need to ask a sheep carrier,
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
3 years 9 months ago #551864 by max2
There used to be, and may still be a small animal carrier. However, I think they were for things like chooks, cats etc.

I second LR's suggestion and call a stock carrier. If they don't do it, they will know someone who might. Expect the animal to have to change trucks or go via other stops.

More
3 years 9 months ago #551866 by Stikkibeek
Pet bus is the name of that carrier. No idea if they do sheep but i think have been known to do pet goats, so might be an option.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
3 years 9 months ago #551871 by John M
My black full shedding Wiltshire breeding stock are usually sold in small groups, or in many cases, a single ram and they regularly travel from Manawatu to Catlins in the South Island to north of Whangarei up north. The bigger trucking companies will do it, I have no idea on cost as that always sits with the buyer to arrange.

Anything is possible for the right price. Buying quality stock from reputable breeders and sourcing your breeding stock from multiple breeders definitely helps with diversity of genetics as you get going.

All the best.

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rickster.On.Fire

More
3 years 9 months ago #552123 by TeamSuperTed
John how did you know I was after black Wiltshires hahaha!

6 horses. 2 sheep. 1 lurcher.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds