Signal booster for Wi-Fi reception

More
3 years 10 months ago #551814 by rees777
We only have 1 bar of reception on our mobile phones on our lifestyle block. We can send texts, but cannot call and we certainly cant get onto the internet, We are in Taipa, Northland. Has anyone had success with any signal boosters they can recommend? We have been suggested www.signalboosters.co.nz/product/dual-ba...tical-mobile-booster by a friend who works in IT but it's not cheap so we don't want to purchase something like this without some feedback from others first. Thanks in advance for your help all...:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #551818 by Alan Gilbert
This is a minefield.
Many of the active boosters sold cheaply in this country are illegal, and can get you in all manner of trouble if they disrupt the telco's legitimate signal. And most of the passive boosters are completely useless. After all, if you haven't got a signal, there's nothing to boost.
Spark do not not sell boosters for their network. Vodafone used to (I have one, and it works quite well as long as the Internet is working) but I believe that they have stopped selling them.
Talking to your network supplier is the first step. And do not be tempted into buying something dodgy on the cheap, no matter how persuasive the ads.
The cellphone reception in the Far North is a disgrace. New Zealand is supposed to be a technologically advanced nation, but up here the Internet is positively third world, and connectivity is non-existent in most areas away from the towns.

Edit to add: I've just looked up the map on GIS Geek, and your nearest Spark cell towers are at Coopers Beach, Hihi, and Kaingaroa North. They all use the 850MHz band, so the booster you are looking at (in the link you gave) should do some good, though you'll have to experiment with getting the antenna pointing at whichever tower gives you the best result. But check with Spark as to to its legitimacy before you buy it!
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Alan Gilbert.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551829 by Blinkybill
Signalboosters are illegal devices. They are not even a NZ or NZ-based business. It is illegal to operate these devices in NZ. You should contact your provider directly to get an approved device.

More
3 years 9 months ago #551921 by Alan Gilbert
I queried this with MBIE. They have (at last!) replied, as follows:

Many mobile boosters or repeaters can cause interference and dropped calls across the wider cellular network. Network operator approval is essential for the installation and operation of such equipment. If approval isn't given, the equipment is not authorised by the required licence.
You can find this information on our website here: www.rsm.govt.nz/business-individuals/buy...bile-phone-boosters/
Please note, if you:
use unlicensed equipment, you may be subject to infringement offence penalties and possible prosecution
cause interference, this may also result in a damages claim from the network operator.
Take care online:
Overseas web sites — such as signalbooster.co.nz, signalboosters.co.nz and mobilebooster.co.nz — give the impression of being New Zealand sites, and suggest their products are approved for use in New Zealand by service providers such as Spark, Vodafone and 2degrees. This is not the case.
Careful study of the Conditions on these websites may find a disclaimer that reads something like: "Using this equipment may require a licence. It’s your own responsibility to check with the governmental authority having jurisdiction prior to use…" etc.
Please direct any person having coverage problems to check with their service provider, such as Spark, Vodafone or 2degrees, for one of their approved solutions.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #551922 by Hawkspur
I have a passive external aerial booster for my cell phone, which adds about one to two bars to my 0-1 without it. It is limited to the phone sitting on the plate.

It was purchased after talking to Spark, who referred me to a small local company that sold the gear, who now are not around, but the same gear is sold by these people who also do legal active repeaters:
. www.cellutronics.co.nz/spark-homeoffice-options

www.cellutronics.co.nz/repeater-faqs
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Hawkspur.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds