HELP rat problem

More
3 years 10 months ago #551622 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic HELP rat problem
That sounds similar to what I've been doing over the last year.
I've learnt a lot more about what rats, different habits and where they are since trapping than I ever did with poison alone. Still got lots to learn about 'em too ! Less rats has meant more birds so then you become a bit more concerned about the roll-on affect of poison down the chain. I've still seen no evidence of that being a problem but it may be happening and I don't know ? Still no question in my mind that there's definitely a useful place for poison in the control of rats. Can't say I'm a fan of tipping it out of helicopters though !
I've always made sure the bait is wired in a spot birds can't see it or get to it in a shed or under the cover of a building. With harrier, morepork, , falcon, wood pigeon, tui, fantail, bellbird etc about all the time I feel it essential.
Does say on the bait container it has something to deter cats to prevent domestic pets being poisoned. So the change to gen 2 won't help any with your feral cat problem. Something that will though .. I can recommend as having seen work really well is - www.maintracgroup.com/collections/traps/...age-trap-tunnel-trap - it's one of the dearer ones but it certainly works. Cage traps seem to be like tunnel rat traps, some work very well and others seem to hardly work at all. Maintrac claim this trap works up to 10x better than any of their other traps ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #551643 by To Do List
Sorry Goldsworthy, I got my instructions mixed up, the domestic pet deterrent was for another product .. (reading too many instructions :unsure: that must be why most blokes don't read instructions B) :dry: )
I feel the cage is by far the safest and most sure method for feral cats and what I would recommend without hesitation ... but your comment particularly about gen2 bait and cats has me wondering ??
So does anyone have experience with cat control and rat poison ?

Pest Off also have a possum bait that appears (from the instructions ?:unsure:?) to be the same stuff as the rat bait but just in wax coated pellets. Interesting they say the wax is to prevent going moldy etc in long term bait stations .. that's what happened to some of my rat baits.
Does anyone know if it actually IS the same stuff ?

I'd prefer not to have to use poison at all but for all sorts of reasons it remains an essential part of rat and mice control so I figure better to learn as much about it as possible. Anyone got any stories about using bait that could help the rest of us ?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by To Do List.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #551644 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic HELP rat problem
I have always used rat bait, the blocks with the holes in, it's the only way to keep on top of the rodents. I usually have a resident "wild" cat and it does a good job of cleaning up rabbits and has never suffered any ill effect from dead or dying rodents. Rats are only after food so your first task is to eliminate any food scraps and be vigilant about rubbish bins etc. Also clear any tree branches near the house so they can't invade the roof.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by tonybaker.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551645 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic HELP rat problem
If we use bait, it is in the block type with hols and is waxed as well. Used to be called Tom-cat, but now Contrac. Made in USA and distributed here. Contains Bromadiolone. Have always found it effective.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 years 10 months ago #551670 by BlueApple
Replied by BlueApple on topic HELP rat problem
Thanks a lot I will have a look at that :D

More
3 years 10 months ago #551671 by BlueApple
Replied by BlueApple on topic HELP rat problem
Small update :

The smell was really nasty for about 3 weeks. The rat died in the ceiling which is part of the house that hasnt been renovated yet so there are holes between the ceiling and the walls. So at one point we had maggots falling from the ceiling, from what I assume was the body of the dead rat.

Lovely.... :silly:

More
3 years 10 months ago #551675 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
Hi Blue Apple. I have had that vile smell. I had forgotten about the falling maggots. Yes, the maggots grew in the rotting rat carcasses after you poisoned them. I must add that lovely detail to my blog post. I had problems with house rats for years until I started trapping seriously. I haven't had a rat in the ceiling for a year now. Fingers crossed. Have you got rat tunnel boxes?

More
3 years 10 months ago #551688 by To Do List
Sounds like the classic old kiwi house ? Some are possibly not aware that house construction changed drastically around about the 60's when board floors gave way to chipboard or plywood. Prior to this the walls were built first and the floors installed inside and onto the walls and similar for the ceilings. Sarking was the common wall lining and due to it's rigidity, very often no dwangs were used. This gave a great ventilation system from the underfloor to the ceiling BUT also provides a multi lane freeway for rats and mice to get from under the house up into the ceiling. :woohoo: :(
Later houses with panel flooring are most commonly sealed across the entire floor. The floor is laid first and the walls are built on top of the panel so there's flooring and a 4x2 bottom plate blocking the freeway. And then we started gluing everything up with silicone and such and stopped the ventilation and started the condensation problems ! But it's generally a bit more difficult for rats to get in the ceiling :silly: Mice still have no problem finding little gaps though :angry: often thru gaps in the roofing, so keeping trees and shrubs away from the house removes that stepladder.
Crawling around under the older houses and blocking off the bottoms of the walls would seem an improvement ? If you embarked upon that adventure I'd suggest using a fine metal screen at regular intervals (or just use that everywhere) to retain the ventilation ? Snag is unless you can do right round every wall, there'll still be a rat highway in the one you can't get at :blush:
So trapping them outside before they get in there still seems the best option to prevent the maggot rain :sick:

More
3 years 10 months ago #551689 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
That is interesting ToDoList. I didn't know about open wall spaces on older houses. We have a newer house so we have never had them in the walls. They just climb vertically up the stone cladding and get in under the concrete roof tiles. I thought about plugging all the gaps under the roof tiles with wire but it would have been a terrible job. I tried trapping outside instead and it has worked so far.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds