HELP rat problem

More
3 years 10 months ago #551536 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic HELP rat problem
Hi ChelleNZ, You're the first I know who's tried the rat electric chair traps. Are you using them in the ceiling ?
I just can't get anything to go in any of the traps I've tried when they're in the ceiling ? The little black plastic traps work good for mice in sheds and in DOC200s that are outside but not in the house, so it's still poison bait in the ceiling around here. The most success for inside was finding and blocking the hole in the foundation where the rats got in. Way harder with mice though, they can climb anything and get thru tiny gaps.
Hi Ratman, Can I suggest a change of design perhaps for the tree trap ? Maybe cut the tunnel way shorter and play with how close you can get the 'teeth' to the opening without getting birds ? I've found some tunnels work fantastic and others wont get anything in them at all but I've no clue on what the secret formula is ?? I'm still convinced there's rats up them trees !
The 'trap in a trap' is not catching anywhere near the numbers but it is catching the elusive beasts of horror that I'd not seen before so I'll persevere with it a bit longer yet. I'm thinking it's catching the wylie old cunning critters that usually live off live stuff and know to avoid human style bait ? There's definitely no 'one fix for all' !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551539 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
Good suggestion. I will try a shorter porch

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #551540 by Goldsworthy
Replied by Goldsworthy on topic HELP rat problem
Ratman, what distancing do you use between traps?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Goldsworthy.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551545 by Ratman
Goldsworthy, I have left a trap at each site that I previously found and trapped a group of rats. Some of these sites are quite close together. Most of the current traps are from 10 to 20 metres apart. Some of them are 30 to 40 metres apart. I have read a paper by DOC that suggests placing traps 50 metres apart in lines 100 metres apart. I have seen this advice repeated on various websites. This seems arbitrary to me and it is probably based on what is most convenient to the trapper working in a large area of bush rather than what might most effectively target the rats. Rats can have a surprisingly small range sometimes, especially the females so a 50 m spacing seems to big to me.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551558 by Goldsworthy
Hmm, I’ll have go at 30m thanks for the info,
Also Arial rats - yes, they are up there; I’ve seen them running along the tree branches. I’m making a couple of nail box victor traps this weekend to zip tie onto horizontal branches on the avocados

More
3 years 10 months ago #551559 by Goldsworthy
Hmm, I’ll have go at 30m thanks for the info,
Also Arial rats - yes, they are up there; I’ve seen them running along the tree branches. I’m making a couple of nail box victor traps this weekend to zip tie onto horizontal branches on the avocados

More
3 years 10 months ago #551577 by To Do List
Rat re-emergence :sick: The rain this last week has triggered a mass migration of rats (from the trees ??) into the sheds.
They're still not going in the traps but they are consuming poison bait at an alarming rate !
Rats were predominate for a whole year (clearly way longer but it's only a year I've been trapping them to know in more detail). Over that year poison in the sheds was untouched for long periods interspersed with mice nibbling throughout the year and occasional rat gobbling Then about 2 months ago an abrupt change, rats kills stalled and mice appeared everywhere so poison bait was being nibbled regularly ? This week mouse catches have stalled and rats are taking the poison flat out. Bait stations being completely emptied every night !
Which leaves me wondering about rat psychology and the sudden and drastic changes in behaviour ? Are they like humans where there's always the smart, the gullible, the stupid, the cunning etc who don't communicate well with each other ? Or are they a far smarter cooperative than humans who are all communicating and adapting as a group ?

So with each required change of trapping technique, are we taking out another of these behavioural sectors of their community leaving the remainder largely untouched ? Or are they all meeting and making the change as a majority group when the losses become significant and again leaving most untouched until we find a new method to outsmart them ?
Did I get just the one group that were silly enough to go in traps ... or have they all now learned to not go in traps ? :whistle:

Ratman's comments on trap distance apart for females ties in with what I've found too although I never quite put it together like he's done ? One thing for sure though ... at the moment with the rain his 'ring of steel' would appear to more important than ever ?
I'm sure some will think I've lost the plot .. :blush: :silly: :lol: .. actually I'm trying hard to find the plot ?

More
3 years 10 months ago #551583 by Ratman
It would be interesting to know the type of rat that has appeared in your sheds ToDoList. One of my blogs Kaipaki rats is about an army of Norway rats that appeared on someone's property when a neighbours field of maize was harvested. He also noticed that they burrowed under his deck when it rained heavily. Norway rats sleep in burrows so they might not like heavy rain filling their burrows. I have also heard that they are more trap shy which might explain the lack of kills. Possibly you have cleared the tree rats but now you have a new lot of Norway rats. I'm just speculating wildly here.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551586 by To Do List
Ah ha Ratman you have a very good point there ! Yes Norways do live in burrows and that could indeed be what's happened ... as the last rat I caught in the trap (right after the rain) was indeed a large female Norway B) And the volume of bait taken since then in such a short period has to be something with an equally big appetite, probably the trapped Norway's mate ? Unfortunately now I may never know for sure.
Then just as suddenly as it started ... this morning the bait is untouched again ? So I guess it has it's belly full for now :lol:

Thanks again for the shared knowledge. Wouldn't it be super helpful if we had everyone's little 'ratting' details compiled together to learn how these little buggers operate ... would make catchin' 'em a whole lot more effective.
I was starting to get a bit despondent that I was losing the battle faster than I was winning it :huh: but now what you say makes perfect sense and I feel a whole lot better that I may have stumbled over a success rather than a failure after all ?

More
3 years 10 months ago #551587 by Ratman
Thank you for your kind comments ToDoList. I had exactly the same idea about how useful it could be to collect all these ratting details together so I made ratwar.org . The idea of the site is to allow people to share their experiences and knowledge and learn from each other. I wanted to find a site to help me kill rats but I could find one so I have tried to make what I wanted. You sound like a fellow rat warrior. You started ratting at about the same time as me. It's nice to meet you.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551588 by Goldsworthy
To Do List - are you using first or 2nd generation bait? - just curious about the amount of bait you’ve gone through.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #551611 by To Do List
Had to go check the specs - I have both !
Racumin paste (tea bags) is 1st gen contains Coumatetralyl and that's what got taken in in big quantities this time. I only tried the tea bags as I was having trouble in a couple damp spots with the Pest Off blocks going moldy in a pretty short time. Interesting that 1st gen is supposed to take up to a week to kill for the reasons of less toxicity to other animals thru eating corpses and giving time so rats don't associate death with eating the bait ... cunning and thankfully so far that works. I can tell you though that even a big eater has had enough after 3 days !
I have almost always previously used (mostly just in the summer now) the Pest Off chocolate blocks which are 2nd gen contains Broadifocum.
I have bait stations kept up all year round and some are not touched for long periods hence trying Racumin and so far that hasn't had the mold issues I had with Pest Off.
Thinking back now the Pest Off blocks may work faster ?, as any time they get taken completely, sometimes the lot will get taken on the next day but that's it. I can't recall those getting totally taken 3 days in a row ?
Then again the chocolate blocks contain a lot more bait too !
Either way I don't mind finding blue mouse shit in the firewood pile :side: or no more bait taken after the 3rd day B)

I have limited bait use since trapping though and now only use it where I know they're there but won't go in traps.
My cat is a prolific mouse catcher and sometimes he brings home a rat too .. it is always in the back of my mind whether he has a poisoned rat ... but at 11yrs he's still doing the same and I use less poison now than in his previous 10yrs so I figure I have enough other things to worry about. Interesting though that sometimes he'll eat the whole thing, and sometimes he'll leave the guts ?? Does he know which ones are poisoned ??
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by To Do List.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551615 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic HELP rat problem

To Do List wrote: My cat is a prolific mouse catcher and sometimes he brings home a rat too .. it is always in the back of my mind whether he has a poisoned rat ... but at 11yrs he's still doing the same and I use less poison now than in his previous 10yrs so I figure I have enough other things to worry about. Interesting though that sometimes he'll eat the whole thing, and sometimes he'll leave the guts ?? Does he know which ones are poisoned ??

Wouldn't it be best to ask him this question, rather than us? :whistle: :P

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 years 10 months ago #551616 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic HELP rat problem
Donald Trump knows answer to everything Tweet him

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #551617 by Goldsworthy
To Do List; I’d like to use 2nd generation as we have feral cats about that I wouldn’t mind getting rid of as well, but we also have a couple of Harriers and Ruru floating about so I’m slowly increasing traps and just have a bait station of gem 1 in the garage as back up In case rats/mice decide to set up shop in there?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Goldsworthy.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds