HELP rat problem

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #551190 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic HELP rat problem
That was over 60 years ago !
Back when common sense was common. When politicians got voted in for what they'd do for the country rather than themselves. When a greenie was something that came out of your nose ! Oh and baking powder came in tins ... and of course most households did baking. Coming out of the depression also meant buying such things as mouse traps could not be justified and mice eating such a valuable resource as chaff (petrol for horses) could not be tolerated ... a bit like what we could possibly be facing again in the near future ?

And it was re-cycling before that was even a word, attempting to make NZ predator free before that was a catch phrase .. and no plastic entered the ocean throughout the whole event :) In the mean time I'm hanging onto the only 2 baking powder tins I have left B)
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by To Do List.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551191 by ChelleNZ
Replied by ChelleNZ on topic HELP rat problem
Its an aluminium om we got off trademe with a clear lid it has two non return doors only trouble is you have to deal with them once their caught
The following user(s) said Thank You: To Do List

More
3 years 11 months ago #551218 by BlueApple
Replied by BlueApple on topic HELP rat problem
Well we used poison despite the fact that we have many animals. We were told that they will go out to drink and die outside of the house...

Big mistake, one of them died inside the wall and we're now going to have to break down the wall to get it as the smell is absolutely atrocious. We were desperate at the time as they are running through our walls, under our floor and in the attic and they are avoiding all the traps.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551223 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic HELP rat problem
the smell is bad but it will go away after about a week. Keep up with the baiting, it takes a while to get on top of them.
Regard baiting as a regular job to do and eventually you will win.
I use a piece of timber with a couple of long nails hammered through, then place the bait block over the nail. Check daily to see if bait is being consumed, this will give you an idea of progress.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueApple

More
3 years 11 months ago #551226 by To Do List
Yeah that smell for the first week can be a bit much ... I'd guess you've got more than 1 decaying in there by the sound of what you had and now what you got ? As mentioned previously, to have any chance of getting on top of the problem you need to go round the house searching for and blocking any rat size entry points you can find. You might be surprised how small a gap or hole they can get thru? Then get trapping outside to reduce numbers before they get in. Until you do that, you will never win the battle inside :blush: The majority of Kiwis have no idea just how many rats are out there, once you start trapping around the house I'm sure you'll be shocked at how many you get all year round, they just keep coming.

I can't get a rat to go in a trap once it's in the ceiling either, so I've had to use poison up there. Fortunately rats are fine with going in the DOC200 traps I have outside. There are lots of tunnel trap designs that work with the regular Victor or similar rat traps inside them, but at my place I wasn't having much luck until I got the DOC200's ... they are fantastic. I rarely get any in the ceiling since I've been trapping outside. The poison up there remained untouched for ages but the cold weather did bring some mice inside .. the poison fixed them with no smell :cheer: I've heard the story of them rushing out to get a drink after eating poison too ... but I've never found anyone who will confirm that for sure ? Some at least die up there, that I do know for sure !

For something most probably don't want to know-
I decided to remove the old buggered batts before installing new insulation to get a better job, otherwise the installers just put new over the old. OMG :ohmy: I was suited up more than covid I can tell you .. I even cut another manhole at the other end of the house and put a big fan at one end to suck a good airflow thru there while I did it. Probably the worst job I've ever taken on ... after getting the batts out I removed dried carcases and rat poo by the bucket full, several buckets full.
Surprisingly little smell but not a fun job all the same :sick: I am however very pleased I did it and since then have been actively trapping outside to make sure I never have to do it again !

Some have luck with traps in the ceiling and others don't. The more I've learned about catching rats and mice the more I've found ya just gotta keep trying different things until you get one that works ... and then in a couple of weeks you'll probably need to try something different again as they move about and learn real fast.
And yes I still put poison in the ceiling for any that still get thru because they just won't go in traps in my ceiling either ? I'll take a dead one that smells for a week over a bunch of live ones any day.

Pretty much back where we started this discussion and we're all keen to hear how you deal with it ? So far no one has the ultimate answer. I think most will agree that a few corpses is far better than having them run free up there ? Please keep us filled in on your successes or failures and progress ?

More
3 years 11 months ago #551227 by To Do List
Another interesting twist to the mouse taking bait from the DOC200's ... mouse trap inside the DOC200 worked and DOC200 worked on the stoat that went in for the mouse. That happened in my most rat catching trap which rarely has gone more than 2 or 3 days without catching for almost a year ... BUT since the stoat got caught in it ... nothing has gone in it. Even the mice haven't touched the bait so it would appear the scent of a stoat sends rats and mice packing ?
So the question - Although I wiped the bit of blood from the stoat away it obviously didn't remove the smell. Today I gave the whole trap a good hose off but not sure that'll be enough either ? Does anyone have a cure to remove stoat scent without resorting to soap or something that might scare everything off just as bad ?

More
3 years 11 months ago #551229 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
Hi Blue Apple. I agree with ToDoList, if you want to stop the rats coming in then you need to kill them before they get near the house. Traps need to be in some form of tunnel box to be effective and safe outside. Also, never touch your traps or boxes unless you are wearing gloves because the rat will avoid human smells. Keep the bait fresh. If the rats are not taking bait in one place then move the boxes around. There ar some guides to rat trapping in New Zealand online. I have written some things about this on ratwar.org .

More
3 years 11 months ago #551231 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic HELP rat problem
I went to the horse feed store yesterday to get some 50/50 to feed my hens, and the owner was bemused by the panic buyers from the day the phones overloaded (Day before level 4) Those same people who had no proper storage for all the stock food they stockpiled, have now been back and bought out the entire stock of rat bait the store owner had. Ha Ha! Serves them right.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 years 11 months ago #551433 by Goldsworthy
Replied by Goldsworthy on topic HELP rat problem
Been thinking about this all week, yes the old wheels turn slowly, and pondered what I would do. Came up with a cunning plan over a whiskey.
Gas burner! Give the entire box and trap a quick once over with a gas torch - enough to singe but not burn the wood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: To Do List

More
3 years 11 months ago #551439 by To Do List
Yeah I hadn't thought of that ... roast stoat probably smells much better ?
I swapped that trap out for another and have since caught just 1 h'hog in that spot. Either the stoat ate all the rats and mice that were there before jumping in the trap or it marked it's territory all around that area ? Something has certainly changed since I got that stoat ... that spot was catching rats so regularly over a year or more. Mice aren't even taking the bait from there anymore and I know there's still mice about as I'm catching them flat out in another shed close by ? I tried baiting that spot with another mouse again to try for another stoat, but no luck with that either ?
I need a stoat whisperer to teach me how they think ... ?
Perhaps it's the time of year but there's also been a sudden noticeable reduction in fantails too ? Or has another stoat moved in wreaking havoc ?
The other change that's also noticeable about the same time is those bloody spur wing plover or spurred lapwing screeching damn things have re-appeared. They gang up in pairs attacking the native birds but I've never seen them catch rats or mice !
For anyone still under the misguided belief that they're protected ... their protected status was removed in 2010. While they haven't yet made it to pest status, with major crop damage and very high in aircraft 'bird strike' statistics they are to be treated as a pest ... and as the man from Forest and Bird said .. ".. do the country a favour and shoot as many as you can".

More
3 years 10 months ago #551527 by To Do List
How's the Airforce testing going Ratman ?
Lately it's been mostly mice around here but got a ship rat and a big female Norway this morning with a mouse trap as bait. Mice walk over the DOC200 and get caught in the mouse trap, rat comes in after the mouse and double whammy !
But rats have either moved or got more cunning since the cold weather as I'm catching much less lately ? I still have a feeling they're staying up in the trees but I haven't tried traps in trees yet.
I'm keen to hear what you're finding out and any successes or failures and what you've come up with so far ?
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #551531 by Ratman
Hi ToDoList. I have only made one of the tree traps. It hasn't caught anything yet. But I haven't been catching much in my other traps either. I think I have mostly got on top of my rat problem. It has taken almost a year and I have caught 165 rats so there are just not as many around any more. The bird numbers have increased enormously. We have lots of tuis living here now where we only used to get occasional visitors. The heydays of catching several rats per night have gone. I would like to do some remote video surveillance to check for remaining rats that don't go in traps but I haven't got the right equipment yet ( working on it). I have 16 traps in a ring around my house and I keep them baited and check them regularly. I don't want to disturb this perimeter protection so I need to buy some more traps if I'm going to put up more tree traps.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551532 by ChelleNZ
Replied by ChelleNZ on topic HELP rat problem
UPDATE...caught a few rats in the electronic trap. Still mice in the live trap. No luck with the little plastic traps but theyve been in there eating the peanut butter. Havent put a lot of bait out in the tunnels but I definately need to put more outside. They
continue to run thru the walls having rodent parties.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551533 by Goldsworthy
Replied by Goldsworthy on topic HELP rat problem
I have now got 2 of the good nature traps operating. They seem to knock off a quite a few in the first couple of days and I have to move the trap to a new location to maintain effectiveness. Until yesterday I was basing this on bodies at base of tree - I mount them at 1.5m high due to curious long nosed whippet.
Yesterday I invested in a couple of those Bluetooth counters that record trips, times temp etc in hope that I’ll overcome the issue of cats and other rats making off with the carcass and give me better indication of d we hen to move. Have ordered a couple more mounts to make easier to move around.

More
3 years 10 months ago #551534 by Ratman
Sounds good. Im always dubious about counting kills without seeing the bodies.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds