HELP rat problem

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551107 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic HELP rat problem
What live trap are you using ?
I got 2 mice in 2 days with the mouse trap in the DOC200 and today the little buggers have abandoned that trap and moved camp to clean out the next trap down the line :angry: Rats have returned to normal with 3 rats and 1 h'hog in the last 4 days. Last 2 are smaller again and cat got 1 as well, he's usually the mouse trap but there's so many even he can't keep up with them. He doesn't usually chase rats much but his coat is nice and thick and really shiny though so he's doing well from all the activity :whistle:

Going from poison to traps I've learned a lot more about what's where, when and how many ? There's a lot more rats around than I imagined for sure ! And from memory of large bait strikes in the past I feel confident I'm getting more rats by using traps, perhaps it's because moving traps about to get the best catches is covering areas I never had poison or perhaps it's just seeing the bodies rather than just 'better put some more bait out as that lot's been eaten' Got a feeling I might be keeping some poison about for these damn mice though ?

The 'bite back' happy meals for the mice certainly works but catching 1 mouse a day is nowhere near as satisfying as catching 1 rat a day !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551108 by To Do List
Hey Ratman keep us posted on the fighter designs and kills ? From others I've heard of, when you get a R.A.T. approved design it should be a high flying success !

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551109 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic HELP rat problem
I've been catching mice too. I thought it was the rat in the green house that was responsible for nibbling off my winter vegetable seedlings as soon as they sprouted as there were holes dug in the seed mix as well, but when the rat bait began to disappear without the trap tripping, I set the mouse trap in there. two caught two nights, and the chooks had great sport with the bodies. My garden is going to be a bleak prospect if I can't even grow seedlings for the winter! What with the mad people who panic bought out the local supply of pre grown ones, and now it's also difficult to find anyone open who might have seed, I was, needless to say, pretty annoyed that what I had planted was vanishing faster than toilet paper in the supermarket! If this keeps up, it won't be the chooks eating raw mouse. Anyone know how to casserole a mouse, and how many would I need to feed two of us? I think that by the time they are skinned and boned out there won't be much left to eat. Rather like filleted whitebait really.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551118 by To Do List
Bear Grylls survives just fine on mice, my cat is doing very well on them and Heston Blumenthal says they taste like pork :dry:
Hell that sounds like a great idea :unsure: Stay away from the genetically modified lab versions though :lol:

I disturbed a mouse in broad daylight having a chew at the bottom of a chili growing in my garden ... it never returned to finish it off oddly enough :lol: But it suggests you may have a ready supply of winter seedling flavoured pork snacks !
Or they'd make travel size toilet paper with a soft touch if your supermarket is still out of stock :silly:

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551124 by Stikkibeek
Great idea. Cabbage (seedlings) goes well with pork (Flavoured mice):woohoo:

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #551138 by To Do List
Hey Furball that was an excellent little tip ! Knowing rain was coming and I almost always get a rat when it rains, I was at 2 minds about the best action with mice now stealing bait from the most rat productive trap ... do I use a mouse trap for the mouse, or bait for a rat ? Well thinking also about Furballs bonus .. I went with the mouse trap thinking it's peanut butter might still attract a rat anyway :unsure: What a fantastic result with a mouse that attracted and caught a stoat as well :woohoo: So I've immediately set it the same again. So good to finally nail a stoat.

Showing the neighbour what's about their chook house has inspired a ramp up of their trapping effort too so that's another positive. Funny how sometimes the littlest thing (a mouse trap) can make the biggest difference :whistle:

ChelleNZ what live trap are you using ? Sounds like I need one of them too ....
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by To Do List. Reason: forgot photo

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #551144 by Stikkibeek
I caught three mice last night with one of those little alligator grey plastic mouse traps. Set it in the greenhouse and on dusk, #1. reset, an hour later #2. Reset and went out before bed time and #3, but it was only caught by a foot and had gone under the base plate of the green house, Retrieved, dispatched and reset the trap. Nothing this morning, so hopefully that little nest of 5 is all there are for now. Yay! I can hear my cabbage seedlings cheering! They are standing in the doorway clapping for the essential worker! :woohoo:

Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Stikkibeek.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551145 by Goldsworthy
Replied by Goldsworthy on topic HELP rat problem
Off topic a tad, but Ratman you mentioned issues with native trees and grass- after clearing the pines we threw down about $500 worth of rye gras Le and then the big dry hit, then we were hit with a carpet of wattle seedlings growing so dense it, in conjunction with the dry, killed all the grass. The wattle seedlings are spaced at 1/ square cm. have 350 Manuka seedlings to start on reclamation, but after weeks and no noticeable impact of pulling by hand, will resort to round up. Between rat trapping, pulling wattle and planting Manuka, Totara and Wineberry we haven’t really been affected by the lockdown.
Attached photo shows only one sector of our wattle plague ( far center).
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551146 by To Do List
I'm impressed with a mouse an hour, you'll never go hungry.

Found this site selling tunnels .. don't know anything about the site, but the tunnel looks identical to one a fella
in the village up the road made and he swears by it. The swing cage door he puts a bit of number 8 wire down thru to secure the door and into the ground to secure the trap against wind at the same time. He uses a Victor wood rat trap.
This could be a fantastic way to recycle the green plastic tree planting protectors :blink: Looks pretty easy to knock up ?
deadrat.co.nz/shop-%26-order/ols/product...nel-by-don-of-nelson

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551147 by To Do List
That might have been me ? Roundup is your best friend when getting started, spray out and kill everything first. One section of my place also had acacia (wattle) saplings about 2m high so thick you could hardly get thru them, too big to spray so I took to them with the digger in the end there was just many. I still get seedlings popping up but nothing like it was. When you get a cover of native it will get way less and any lawn or pasture areas with rye grass will stop the acacia too. Acacia seedlings do grow real fast and it pays to pull them as soon as you see them or they get hard to pull out. The rye grass would have been stopping the acacia but when the rye grass died in the heat all hell broke loose ?
Rye grass and native don't mix though .. rye grass has varying strength of endophyte which is great for the rye grass but that defence mechanism is what prevents anything else growing near it. Grass more than anything is what you want to get rid of as the first step in native planting (or any tree for that matter) as grass seriously stunts a tree growth. Plus if ordinary grass is allowed to grow in with native grass, it gets intertwined with it and then it's a real pain in the ass.
Truck loads of bark as mulch around your new plantings is the way to go ... the cost of that bark is peanuts compared to the back breaking hours of weeding by hand and your new plants will take off so much faster too.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #551161 by Goldsworthy
Replied by Goldsworthy on topic HELP rat problem
Oh, yes it was you To Do List. Thanks for the tips on managing grass and wattles. Need to get stuck in with the 540 when the rain stops - 300 Manuka to plant.
Recycling plastic/ my nail box cover below- no good where you have wekas I guess but does effectively trap with 100% trip and kill ratio - set it up last week and had 7 rats in 7 nights using the old peanut butter bait.
Have to use wire tied to back to lower in though as no room for fingers
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Goldsworthy.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551165 by To Do List
Nailed ! B) That plastic nail box looks real good. Think I'll try that for in my sheds and the ceiling ? Rats here just won't go inside plastic tunnels but because the 'sharp end' of yours is right at the entrance it might work. Or perhaps it's the skylight they like :huh:
I have weka and pukeko so will stay with the old style DOC200 for outside. Appears the newer shorter DOC design box is for areas without long neck birds ... From the DOC page that shows drawings and sizes for the DOC traps it says "In areas where weka are present, the tunnel length is 950mm, the distance from the end mesh to the internal mesh increases from 130mm to 255mm." That site is worth a look for anyone wanting to make a DOC style trap - www.doc.govt.nz/documents/conservation/t...00-predator-trap.pdf

My Dad just told me they used a rolling baking powder tin on some number 8 wire with mutton fat as bait over a 4 gallon tin of water for mice that were getting into the chaff in the barn over 60yrs ago .. he says it worked real good. And it was his grandfather that showed them what to do ... so for the youtubers who think they have a new invention ... yeah nah.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551171 by Stikkibeek
The trouble being, that under the animal welfare act, you are not allowed to drown animals of any kind.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #551176 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic HELP rat problem
Well if my neighbour has a Drone up watching me drown them,Ill shoot that down over private property
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by linrae.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #551182 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
But you are not drowning them, they are drowning themselves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: To Do List

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds