HELP rat problem

More
3 years 11 months ago #551026 by Goldsworthy
Replied by Goldsworthy on topic HELP rat problem
When I was young my father bought back a bamboo trap from Vietnam which was extremely effective at killing rats raiding the chook house.
I plan to make a few of them from PVC pipe I have lying around.
If you have the time and motivation, I would highly recommend - just google Thai bamboo rat trap - have attached link to you tube for manufacture- www.google.co.nz/search?q=thai+bamboo+ra...p7LBszfz7sP_-24iA843
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChelleNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551039 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
The video is cut just after the rat is noosed so you don't see the prolonged struggle. There are two ways of hanging a man, a quick way and a slow hideous death by strangulation. I'm all for killing rats but the noose trap looks cruel.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551042 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic HELP rat problem
Like anyone else I prefer a quick kill too but the bamboo trap has been around for centuries and works. It's bio-degradable, renew-able resource without creating green house gas, got to be good right ? And here we are still struggling to find a way to solve the same problem ? My biggest struggle with ethics is with those who make the rules. The same hierarchy that admit NZ has a huge pest problem when they can use it for a photo opportunity, then tell us all the ways we can't kill rats in one breath and in the next, order the aerial scattering of tons of 1080 to kill anything and everything ! And who says 1080 death is quick and painless ?
OK I feel better now so back on track before I start a war ! For anyone I've just upset, please stay calm as by the time you read this I'll have forgotten all about it ... and you should too.

I get the vibe that most of us would prefer not to use bait either and me too. But I've had very little success with traps in the ceiling, zero success with plastic tunnels and so still use bait when traps aren't working. These little buggers change and adapt quickly so we gotta do likewise right ? So I say let's hear about any little tips, tricks and traps that work. We can all build them (or not) and and/or use them totally by our own choice of ethics or methods When someone comes up with another way, why not take a good look at it ? We're kiwis and even though common sense is now illegal .. last I heard number 8 wire was still OK to use, so let's use it anyway we can to make traps work just like we want them

I'm quite sure the bamboo trap mention was with the best intention of help to the PVC pipe idea ?
Still a good idea and no reason why a bamboo style trap can't easily be brought into play with a little modern tech ... same trigger system but a spring loaded metal 'thing a ma jig' could be very effective and provide a quick end.
I like the bamboo idea as my rats don't like plastic :dry: so I'd like to try a modern kill in an old bamboo just for a twist :huh:

More
3 years 11 months ago #551044 by To Do List
Hey just found this ... may be something in there that helps someone ?
goodnature.co.nz/blogs/news/reasons-rats-are-hard-to-trap

I'm all ears if anyone has ideas of reducing the mouse population in rural settings ?
I got another big ship rat today so that feels better then the stolen bait of the last few days.
Mice are now able to walk all over a DOC200 without tripping it ... gotta change strategy and get
something up them trees :whistle:

More
3 years 11 months ago #551045 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic HELP rat problem
One of the videos I looked at today showed a mouse trap set inside the Doc 200 trap as well. If you have room in yours then try that. You could screw it to the inside of the box, clear of the rat trap part.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 years 11 months ago #551050 by To Do List
My DOC200's are the older larger model so there's heaps of room for a mouse trap. I finally found the only 2 mouse traps I have, both different and both plastic so this will be interesting ? I've kept the bait going and found the one trap that mice clean out every day so that will get the mouse works.
Just had mice in the ceiling :angry: , first rodents up there really since I started the rat trap campaign outside almost a year ago. Put up a Victor trap in one of the plastic bottle tunnels and even the mice wouldn't take the bait out of that. Then put a Victor on a board for a runway/handle to make it easy to place and after several days they got the bait off that. So back to the poison bait in the ceiling wired to a roof support and they immediately had a good nibble on that. All was quiet in the ceiling last night :lol:
How to think like a rodent :huh: With nothing else handy I put some poison baits on a wire inside one of the very same plastic bottle tunnels they won't touch in the ceiling .... out on the porch and the mice have got stuck into that ?? Getting them before they get inside seems a better plan.

There's definitely no 'one way for every situation' ! Who needs TV and board games when we all have rats to catch.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #551064 by Goldsworthy
Ratman, I find the interpretation of the bamboo trap (noose trap) as cruel, to be rather humorous and very weird. I see in your posts that you use poison- now that would fit your perception of cruel. Death by poison is long and drawn out and certainly not without distress to the animal- ask the people here how their dogs reacted after eating a poisoned rat!
If you want soft and fluffy ways to kill rats; you may as well head off to the burbs - you have two options; to kill or not to kill - I kill, but chose to use efficient methods to achieve an outcome. A 30 second suffocation by noose is less traumatic than a gut shot animal (unintentional) but I doubt anyone here would claim control by lead pill was “cruel” . Even the most efficient traps can cause trauma before death. I’d happily use the bamboo snare over poison any day
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Goldsworthy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChelleNZ, Ratman

More
3 years 11 months ago #551065 by Ratman
I have had mice in the ceiling since I got rid of the rats. I know it is mice because I have an ipcamera set up in the roof space. You can never have too much military intelligence. I usually leave a poison block up ther under the camera, partly to attract all comers so I can see who is visiting. The camera has motion setection so I get a notification signal on the tablet. I use plastic snap mouse traps baited with peanut butter to kill them. They work very well for me. when you say victor traps, do you mean victor mouse traps?

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #551066 by Ratman
Good points Goldsworthy. A gut shot is cruel and we all strive to avoid it hopefully. Poison is cruel, which is why I try to avoid it. As I just mentioned to todolist I leave a block of poison in the ceiling space as an attractant (it is longer lasting than peanut butter). I would use poison to wipe out trap-shy rats, but I haven't had to do it yet. My reasoning for that is that I would rather be cruel to a rat than for it to be cruel to natural fauna. Also, I prefer traps because I can count the dead. You can never have too much military intelligence. If possible I will avoid causing unnecessary suffering so I prefer snap traps to nooses. I think Winston Churchill once said that executing a man is no excuse for being nasty ( I think I am paraphrasing). This is an interesting moral question that you raise.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Ratman.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551067 by Goldsworthy
All good potential for a bar leaner and whiskey discussion. I dislike killing, though I do hunt and fish for the table. I even have a distaste for killing, the marsupials, mustelids and rodents, but I’m all for the elimination ( the new definition) of them though to protect our flora and fauna.
I’m trying to reforest (native) a hectare of land where I clear felled a pine lot.
Would consider poison in desperation, but worried about flow on effect on resident Ruru and Harriers, so I’m exploring all the trap options I can find. I’ve bought a couple of doc 200 for stoats but It sounds like they are good for rats too? I’m assuming the box design is the same?

More
3 years 11 months ago #551068 by To Do List
No, Victor rat trap in the ceiling because that's all I had to hand. And because I was getting only rats for the last year I figured it's more likely to be a rat ... so a mouse trap would be pointless and only scare a rat. Either way nothing went in the plastic tunnel to the trap anyway with nothing caught and no bait taken but the noise persisted :angry: . That's when I put poison back up in the ceiling and then I knew by the nibbles it was mice. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone !
The mouse favourite DOC200 now has a mouse trap in it too :evil: I used the plastic base with wire snapper mouse trap which seems to give a reasonable 'bang'. The other I found was a plastic top and bottom mouse trap which had bugger all bang and I doubt it'd even strangle a mouse so unless I can turbocharge that it'll get binned.
I put the mouse trap past the DOC200 in the bait section so a mouse can get to it but a rat will come unstuck on the big trap before he can get his nose tickled with the little trap :whistle:

More
3 years 11 months ago #551069 by To Do List
Good luck on the native project. That's how I got started here too but I was lucky to have some remaining big totara and kahikatea as inspiration. Was grass, blackberry, old man's beard ... you name it ! Grass is the biggest hurdle if you hadn't already figured that out, need to spray out the grass as it really stunts the growth of your natives. After a huge effort in weeding around the new native grasses and trees for the first 2 years I found buying truck loads of bark for mulch and weed suppression was a way better option.
Anyhow once you get a nice new native forest going you can look forward to tui, fantail, wood pigeon, bellbird, cuckoo, morepork AND rats !
Yeah the DOC200 is one and the same, I've seen a few different boxes for them but it's still the same setup whether it's aimed at rats, stoats, ferrets or hedgehogs. I mostly use just peanut butter which catches rats and h'hogs. The neighbours have chooks so I add a small brown egg to the traps near there which will attract stoats and norway rats (of which chooks are wonderful magnets for). I've seen some plastic boxes for them too but have no idea if they work as well as the wood boxes ?
Mine are the older larger box which is about twice the distance from the entrance to the trap. They are some of the first that were put into the reserves and were built with the idea to keep kiwi out. But as time has gone on the trap boxes have got a lot smaller ... I hope it's because time has shown no kiwi of weka ever got caught and smaller is easier to carry and still bird proof ? I really hope it's not just cost cutting ?
Catching stoats would seem a whole other subject ... I know I've had an occasional stoat about from dead animal remains, they usually go in thru the neck/ribcage and clean out the insides, usually a fairly gruesome crime scene ! But I've never caught one in any of my traps. From what I've found I'd suggest concentrate on catching the rats for the best return and only worry about stoats if there's rabbits about too ?
Then again Fiordland National Park concentrated their trapping towards stoats ?? More so than rats, the stoats are slippery little buggers so once you get some rat kills with the DOC200's you'll pretty soon get a feel for what goes at your place.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551073 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic HELP rat problem
While I agree that animals shouldn't suffer It is hard for me to see why drowning & strangulation are considered by many to be worse than the relatively accepted death by poisoning. While I do use poison, I also use other methods to dispatch them. I often see poisoned rats and it is obvious when you see them that they have been poisoned. They are often still alive the next day. Now tell me the other options are cruel

More
3 years 11 months ago #551084 by ChelleNZ
Replied by ChelleNZ on topic HELP rat problem
Sincere thanks for the fabulous tips and comments much appreciated. Seems to be the live trap is catching a few mice a day. Not sure that theres been any action in the bait tunnelsbat this stage. Can still here their disco parties in the walls usually around 5-6am and in the evenings but I have yet to set up the 'departure lounge' bait stations so fingers crossed we shall win!

More
3 years 11 months ago #551103 by Ratman
No worries ChelleNZ. It was an interesting discussion. Here is a descriptions of my Air Force One for trapping in trees. www.ratwar.org/rat-airforce/

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds