HELP rat problem

More
4 years 1 month ago #550998 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
I don't have these traps so I'm just guessing. Could the mechanism need cleaning, lubricating or adjusting? If the rat is getting past the trigger and is able to eat the bait then it sounds like it is not sensitive enough. I found this video

about cleaning and setting mechanism, but you probably already know this. Surprised they are not wearing gloves In the video. Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChelleNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551003 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic HELP rat problem
I'd love to think so :) Although the last few I got were a lot smaller and other trappers have noted this also suggests getting on top of them ?? It just seems such a massive and almost instant change :unsure: I fear it all came too easy and perhaps the rats all had a health and safety meeting, assessed the risks and tomorrow I wake to find a hundred miniature traffic cones around my traps :silly:
I'm sure what it really means is I need to change tactics ! I'm keen on trying something like the D-Rat traps in the trees as it could just be that rats get cold feet and all retreat into the trees when the ground gets cooler :S

More
4 years 1 month ago #551004 by Ratman
I had a look at the D-rat traps and I agree with your previous comment that they look like they might catch birds.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551005 by To Do List
Thanks for the maintenance video ... yeah I wonder what he used the gloves for ??
Funny enough after discovering the problem yesterday I had a good look over the traps and a quick clean up but they were good. Mine are the older larger box type where the everything except the base and trap hinges up. I did however notice the entry hole into the trap plate on 2 of the traps was quite close to the centre or hinge end rather than the outer end ? It looked as if a cunning rat or mouse could get thru that hole and step left enough to avoid the trip plate .. or be so close to the hinge that a lightweight may not be enough to set it off. Clearly that same weight further out from the hinge would set it off. So I added some scrap metal bits on the hinge side of the hole to effectively move the hole further from the hinge and minimise the chance of a side-stepping rat getting past the plate ?? I'll report back soon.
I'm still thinking I need to go after them up the trees now :silly:

More
4 years 1 month ago #551008 by Ratman
I've been thinking that a length of PVC downpipe could be suitable for placing in a tree. I can't think of how to make a trapping mechanism in it though. Perhaps a noose that is pulled from outside, using a spring mechanism.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551009 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic HELP rat problem
can you use a swing door mechanism? Rat can push through it to get at bait but can't come back out.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #551011 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic HELP rat problem

Ratman wrote: I've been thinking that a length of PVC downpipe could be suitable for placing in a tree. I can't think of how to make a trapping mechanism in it though. Perhaps a noose that is pulled from outside, using a spring mechanism.

I would urge you not to use a noose which sounds just like a snare. Snares are not humane as they do not kill straight away and would be against animal welfare regulations
PVC down pipes are very good for bait stations. You just put the block on a bit of wire, such as welding wire and bend both ends of the wire around the ends of the pipe. Place the pipe alongside a fence or building where rats are more likely to run.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ratman

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #551013 by Ratman
Ok. Yes, I was just "musing". This is getting a bit off topic so I will start a thread at ratwar.org about a rat airforce, but not using a noose. I have an idea involving a snap trap in a small box with a piece of 65mm drain coil as an entrance that can be tied to a branch for easy access. Wings would be optional.

I'm not in favour of chemical warfare except possibly in special situations, so rat poison is out for me.

Dave.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Ratman.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551014 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic HELP rat problem
What Stikkibeak said is correct. Even if the purpose of a trap is to kill the target, it still has to do it in a humane way. Responsible manufacturers of traps in NZ have them assessed against the NAWAC guidelines for humane killing.
More info here: www.landcareresearch.co.nz/science/plant...rtebrate-pests/traps
So unless you are planning to test any home-made trap you make to this standard, there's no way to know if it's humane or not.

On the DOC 200 front, there are a couple of possibilities for what's going on. Mice do go in them and are too light to trigger the trap, but will eat the bait. I have put snap mousetraps in my DOC 200 boxes to kill any mice that come in. As a bonus, I have discovered that a fresh dead mouse in a trap is a great bait to lure a weasel into the DOC 200. If you do this, do be very very careful, as the logistics of re-baiting 2 traps in a small box space is complicated, and the last thing you want is for the mousetrap to snap on your finger, you automatically flinch back and put your hand into the DOC200. That's a quick trip to A&E.

The other possibility is clever fast rats. A certain proportion of rats are quick enough to trigger a DOC200 and escape unharmed. There's a nice article about this discovery here. zip.org.nz/findings/2019/7/the-zip200-pr...-to-a-surprising-end
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChelleNZ, To Do List

More
4 years 1 month ago #551015 by Ratman
Thanks Tony. That would work but I don't like the idea of dealing with a live rat that is stuck in a PVC tube.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551018 by To Do List
It seems the rats around here have heard level 4 lockdown is about over and have decided to travel :unsure: Of the 3 traps mice cleaned out yesterday, (2 I then narrowed the door to the trap plate) today 2 were untouched and 1 had the bait taken again. It's pretty obvious now it's by mice too small to trigger the DOC200.

So I need to downsize and thinking to do as Furball has done now the mice think DOC200s are a free meal and provide happy meals that bite back :)
The mice are not tripping the DOC200 (except for 1 which is how I confirmed what the culprits were). I'd never had bait taken before in any DOC200 so the mice problem is new for me. Other thing I'm going to try is a screw thru the side from the outside of the box above the trip plate and screw on a 'tea bag' bait onto the screw end inside. Hopefully then maybe a couple of mice will try dining together whereby they'll need to stand up on the end of the trip plate to get to the bait .. who knows but it's sure easy to try ? Put it at a height where the arc of the trap will just miss, get 'em one way or the other.

To Ratman and the PVC pipe idea - It appears rats and mice in different places at different times have different likes and dislikes .. The first traps I tried here were made by a group who took on an area in the foothills of a nearby town and continue to have great success with them. White plastic rectangular bottle with about 100mm of PVC downpipe entrance tunnel, mesh door in the other end and Victor wood trap inside. I got some and tried them on and off over about 7yrs now and never caught a single thing with any of them ! It seems the Rats here will not go in small PVC tunnels at all ? So I can only suggest knocking one up and trying it before you go into production ?
Someone suggested the reason could be that urban rats are used to plastic but rural rats are not ? It was that total failure with the plastic tunnel traps that put me off traps completely until I was given the first DOC200 and then suddenly it was 'game on' until my new wee problem.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551021 by Stikkibeek
[quote="To Do List" post=551018
. The first traps I tried here were made by a group who took on an area in the foothills of a nearby town and continue to have great success with them. [/quote]
Was the town Hamlin by any chance? :whistle:

More
4 years 1 month ago #551022 by To Do List
Can't remember the town name :S but I think the bloke was someone Piper ? :silly:

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #551023 by Stikkibeek
P.V.C. Piper? :) I think I know him! Pretty hollow sort of chap!

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Stikkibeek.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551025 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic HELP rat problem
yeah, think e was partial to pies as well.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds