HELP rat problem

More
4 years 3 days ago #550947 by ChelleNZ
HELP rat problem was created by ChelleNZ
Looking for advice re: killing rodents that have decided to live in my walls.
I can't use bait bcos the house dogs/cat/chooks will eat the dead carcasses.
Do electronic traps work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 days ago #550949 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic HELP rat problem
Do you mean the electronic noise things that supposedly emit a sound ... No they're a complete waste of money.
Good old rat traps, the Victor big wood type is the way to go in the ceiling. You can use the same traps in a tunnel for outside, search "tunnel traps for rats" to get ideas to build yourself, they work really well. But bait in the ceiling is still the most effective ...
Best answer however is a DOC200 trap outside to catch them before they get inside. And have a good look around the house for any places a rat can get in and try to block these off. Trees or shrubs close to the house is a good step ladder for rats and mice.
DOC200 traps are awesome, bait with peanut butter and a small brown egg will sort most of the pests with great effect. Everyone in a rural setting should have at least one of these. There are a lot more rats outside than you realise .. until you start catching them. Rats and mice head for shelter in the cold wet weather so you notice them then but they're out there all the time. When you get your 'trap eye' honed in you'll be surprised at the increase in native birds.

Carryover of poison to other animals eating carcases can or does happen ?... but I've had bait in the house ceiling and sheds all year round for many years and so have the neighbours and thus far I couldn't tell you of one accidental death of a cat or chook due to it. Bait should be put on a wire or nail and placed where birds can't get to it though. Rats will try to take baits away and if they can, then you don't know where they end up which I'd suggest could be a bigger problem than something eating a dead rat ? Cats wont eat bait but chooks aren't always so smart ?
Getting rid of the pests is more effective and desirable than worrying about the options ??
As an example I've caught 24 rats since January plus replaced lots of bait, neighbour has replaced lots of bait but doesn't have much luck with traps close to the chook house ... and the other neighbour didn't think there were any rats about ?
Once I showed him my traps and results he's now bought a DOC200 and joined the crusade !

The gas auto re-set traps are super expensive and while some have success with them ... I know of others who've never caught a thing with them ? I couldn't tell you why ? Nooski are known for going off by themselves and don't have a great reputation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChelleNZ

More
4 years 3 days ago - 4 years 3 days ago #550955 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic HELP rat problem
What "To Do List" said. :-)
Also, you might want to check out the "Times up rats" thread - lots of useful info and discussion on there.
www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/forum/your-place/47046-times-up-rats
Last edit: 4 years 3 days ago by Furball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChelleNZ, To Do List

More
4 years 2 days ago #550961 by To Do List
Thanks Furball for the other thread "Times up rats". Gee I thought I was doing OK but just goes to show there's always room for improvement. I've learnt things from that thread too and I definitely recommend reading it thru. There ya go ChelleNZ, if nothing else it's an eye opener just how big of a rat problem we have in NZ. Go get 'em !

More
4 years 2 days ago #550962 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic HELP rat problem
Yes, I've just topped 70! I know there are more about as they broke into the green house and ate the Port Albert Cucumber seed I was saving! grrr!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 2 days ago #550965 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic HELP rat problem
I find that cat/dogs seem to instinctively know not to eat a poisoned animal? I have always used bait blocks nailed to a board and you can tell when you are on top of them when the baits stop being eaten. For mice, an unbaited trap set against the skirting is surprisingly effective as mice always run round the perimeter of a room. The main thing is to remove food sources and also get rid of nesting places too. The worst experience I had was when a rat chewed through the ducting of the rangehood, I could hear it scrabbling around inside. Anyone who says they don't have rats needs to go to specsavers!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 2 days ago #550971 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic HELP rat problem
My much loved dog did once eat a poisoned rat - and I nearly lost the dog. So I would recommend avoiding poisoning if possible.

We use 'rat tunnels' here around the property with rat traps inside, they work well.

However, for inside the house, I can recommend these rat hatch traps:

www.envirotools.co.nz/Rat-Hatch/

They work a treat, are easy to install and clear, don't require poison (just peanut butter bait) and look very unobtrusive, much like a smoke alarm. Our neighbour has one as they have a ceiling space which is impossible to get rats out of - dead or alive - but the rat hatch trap has been the answer!

More
4 years 2 days ago #550972 by Stikkibeek
That looks a good system too.

More
4 years 2 days ago #550974 by To Do List
I agree those envirotools D-Rat traps look really good ... a better mouse trap !
Hadn't seen those before but they'll go on the To Do List . Those in combo with my DOC200's should
work a treat ?
And the rat hatch is a great idea too.
I think it's also great how they have a "Rural Pack" which looks an excellent 'house warming'
present for every rural owner to get started with ? Wasn't the government promising a predator
free NZ ? If David Parker acts super fast he could get a Rural Pack out to every landholder before
Jacinda empties the bank completely ... he'll have to be quick though !

More
4 years 1 day ago #550975 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
If there are rats in your walls then there are probably at least ten times as many around the house. The wall rats are the tip of the iceberg. If you manage to kill the wall rats then their friends will notice the vacant den-space and move in. The solution is to take the fight to the rats outside the house. I had a major rat problem in my roof space for years until I declared war on rats. I had 2 or 3 at a time up there. I would poison them and a few days or weeks later there were a new lot up there. Just under a year ago I made 12 rat trap tunnel boxes and I bought 12 Victor Professional snap traps and used them to systematically eliminate the rats around my house. I have caught 153 so far (in 11 months). I now have a "ring of steel" around the house to detect and kill new insurgents. I am currently catching about 5 per week, but they are mostly babies these days. I have not had another rat in my roof space since I took this approach. I recommend that you consider doing the same. It takes some work but there are many benefits, including a huge increase in bird life. You can read more about my experiences and techniques at ratwar.org .
You should also make some effort to find out where they are getting into the walls and try to plug the gaps.
Dave

More
4 years 1 day ago #550977 by To Do List
Awesome job Ratman and excellent description of the problem and attack strategy. I agree 100% from my own experience as noted earlier. Geba gave a link to some great looking traps www.envirotools.co.nz/d-rat/ and wonder if anyone has experience with these outside ? I've found and blocked the historical main entry point into the house and have taken the fight to the rat outside with DOC200's and now rarely get one in the ceiling. Bird life has noticeably increased and rat catch numbers continue to mount up BUT I am also now getting smaller rats to the point of almost being too small for the DOC200 traps and want to go one step further. As I learn more about rats and their prolific life above ground. I'm fighting them on the beaches and over the sea but now realise I need to fight them in the air as well in order to widen the defence line. Back to the D-Rat traps which look like a great 'fighter plane' and some clever design work gone into them. The only reservation I have (and why I'm asking for others experience with them) is while they look to be a very effective rat trap, the 'kill zone' is right near the entrance. Has anyone noticed any bycatch of birds ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChelleNZ, Ratman

More
4 years 1 day ago #550981 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic HELP rat problem
Thanks ToDoList. I like the idea of an Air Force. I will have a look at the D-rat traps.

More
3 years 11 months ago #550986 by Goldsworthy
Replied by Goldsworthy on topic HELP rat problem
I use a mix of traps with great success. 1/ old school with update- take a one of the large plastic nail boxes with the clear clip down lids; cut a 32 mm slot at one end and lower classic wooden trap into it there is hardly any room for fingers so use a bit of string or wire attached to back of trap to lower into place - use peanut butter for bait - 100% success.
2/ goodnature CO2 self setting trap, out aside supplied bait, fill cap with peanut butter- mounds of dead rats :-).
Need to regularly move the traps and change them around - the little critters learn.

More
3 years 11 months ago #550993 by To Do List
Today I found a sudden and drastic change ? I've had 5x DOC200's since June last year placed about and have been regularly catching rats and h'hogs all that time. No bait had ever been eaten, the trap always got 'em before they got the bait. Then recently I caught 2 facing out, as if they'd got in past the trap and tripped the trap trying to leave ? Now today the first 2 traps I checked had no catch but the bait was eaten and the 3rd trap also had no bait but some mouse poo and a trapped mouse. A mouse doesn't offer a lot of resistance to a DOC200 going off !
Has anyone else experienced this sudden change from all rats to all mice before ?

More
3 years 11 months ago #550996 by Stikkibeek
Might suggest you are getting on top of the rat problem ;)

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds