Grrr, a NAIT related rant!

More
4 years 1 month ago #550875 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Grrr, a NAIT related rant!
FDX tags are affected more than HDX tags by electrical interference, particularly with panel readers.and are less likely to read as well as HDX. Freezing works environment has many potential electrical interference possibilities which may account for miss-reads by both technologies which are reported as lost tags.
Reports of the survey done by NAIT to alter the last changes in rules have not indicated variance in FDX/HDX scan results and no brand difference has been reported although I doubt this would be provided for commercial sensitivity. Works are supposed to follow a no-read with a hand held scan and if again no read, a manual read of either the NAIT tag or management tag if available. I guess the chain is not going to be slowed/stopped for proper reading.

Everything Must be Somewhere

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550877 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Grrr, a NAIT related rant!

Ruth wrote: Provide them with the RFID number of her tag and they should easily reverse the penalties and, possibly, pay you more for the cow if she then becomes a lifetime traceable animal.

Yes both NAIT and the works were provided with her details. The agent was told, who passed it on to the works, as soon as I saw one was missing. Straight off my registered animals list!
2063469-310 982 000160753069 13/08/2010 Cattle F

She is a lifetime traceable animal, born 13/8/10, here she is wearing her tags on 12 september 2010,

and still wearing both 31.3.2020, I have circled the NAIT tag as it is a bit hard to see through the hair! But I did check all the animals had tags before they went on truck

The agent has put in a claim to refund the $38 charged for "no tag", we shall see what happens! The other charges that make up the $197 are all the levies and inspection fees, so they stay!

After NAIT saying they would take the animal off my registered list because I couldn't do it and Taylor Preston saying they couldn't do it because they didn't read it, -in NAITS condescending email saying she must have lost it in the truck, so today I get confirmation from NAIT

Animals updated:
Registered at: Your NAIT number
Animals: 1 cattle
RFID: 982 000160753069
NAIT visual ID: 2063469-310

What has changed?
Animal status: Dead
Date of death: 01/04/2020
Slaughtered: Yes
Disposal method: Meat processor - for human consumption
Carcase disease status: No defect

Longridge, I totally agree she could have had her head down when she went past, I'm sure many do, and agree she can't go round again, but someone should actually check if she had a tag and either scan by hand, or record the management tag which was also barcoded to our property!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #550878 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Grrr, a NAIT related rant!
12 September 2010, a lovely day here too, although not weather-wise. I had lunch with my elderly, now deceased, God-father and my mother was still sufficiently compos mentis to come and join us for lunch.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550881 by Sue
Yes I forgot that date was special for you Ruth!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550882 by LongRidge
I worked at Wakatu freezing works for a season in 73/74. On the sheep chains, the head stayed beside the carcase until after final inspection. I'm a bit surprised that this doesn't happen with cattle, so that missed tags could be checked after the initial scan. :-(.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550894 by Sue

LongRidge wrote: I worked at Wakatu freezing works for a season in 73/74. On the sheep chains, the head stayed beside the carcase until after final inspection. I'm a bit surprised that this doesn't happen with cattle, so that missed tags could be checked after the initial scan. :-(.

I visited the Alliance works locally about 2 or 3 years ago and we (Rural Women group) were shown through when the chains were operating. After the head, complete with tags, was off it went round through a seperate room and came out again to join the carcase that was by then skinned and hanging on the rail with a number. My thoughts then were that if the chain was stopped for some reason, would the head then meet up with the correct body!

Sue

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds