Grrr, a NAIT related rant!

More
4 years 1 month ago #550631 by Sue
Well I was woken by an email at 6.03am this morning which came via NAIT, to say
"Taylor Preston ltd have declared they received animals from your NAIT number
Animals- 4 cattle
Received on 1.4.2020"

Only problem was we sent 5!

They left the farm at 9.15am yesterday morning to go to Wellington.
A varied bunch which consisted of a 12 year old cow, a 10 year old cow, a R4 year old cow who had,drawn the short straw having had a caesar as a 2 year old and had her second calf pulled weighing 53kgs and ended up with very bowed and bent knee joints, all 3 cows we weaned off their calves on Tuesday, along with an R2 heifer who was twin to a bull and failed to get in calf, and a rising 3 year old bull.

So who was missing?
Perhaps the bull, but no his tag was there. The missing one was the 10 year old, a huge fat cow, Flower, that must have weighed between 700 and 800 kgs, so she couldn't have slipped by unnoticed!

Rang the agent straight away, who rang the plant and said 'they would look into it' Huh!

Luckily I took a photo of her the afternoon before and yes she was wearing BOTH ear tags, surely she couldn't have lost both of them on the truck ride to Wellington, that was their excuse!

I know it is there as it is set deep in her hairy ear and I can see it if you zoom in, like on this different shot!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550639 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Grrr, a NAIT related rant!
Note the date: they're having you on!

More
4 years 1 month ago #550640 by Ruth
I recall I dealt with the same issue, a bull with a tag out from here, disappeared in the system. I supplied the NAIT RFID number to the works and they attributed it to him, I got the extra money associated with export beef and no fee for an untagged animal.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550641 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Grrr, a NAIT related rant!
I wish it was an April Fools joke. Trouble is the date is 2nd!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550642 by Sue
I supplied both Nait number and her management tag number. Surely she couldn't lose both.
I will expect to get paid the full amount, she would weigh twice as much as a dairy cow.

Sue

More
4 years 1 month ago #550647 by LongRidge
At an Alliance meeting I asked the stock manager which make of tags were more difficult to read. He admitted that they had more trouble with some brands, but would not tell me which. We don't send cattle to Taylor Preston or to Grace because our aquaintences do and they have far too many problems with tags that they could not read.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550649 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Grrr, a NAIT related rant!
A friend sent 15 off recently.
Works came back with weights which were disputed.
Got agent involved as value was $2500.00 Works insisted they were right.

they didnt realise we had weighed them with agent there on pickup
Soon changed their mind when print was going to be produced

More
4 years 1 month ago #550666 by Sue
We have a choice of 3 works locally and this is the first time we have had a problem at Taylor P.
Once had an animal on our received list from Alliance that wasn't even our tag or NAIT number. and was missing our own tagged animal, the weights seemed about what I would expect-but I did track the number we were given as somewhere in Palmerston Nrth, all mine were born and bred on the property.

However, the weights for 5 animals came through yesterday, though no actuals and pricing just yet. The bull went over 400 kg cw, the 3 cows averaged in the high 300 kgs and the 20 month heifer 270kgs. So I expect the 'missing' cow will go trimmer and be possibly over 300kg and the R4 would be lower 300's so we shall wait and see!

Sue

More
4 years 1 month ago #550770 by linrae
WHATS THE OUTCOME Sue

More
4 years 1 month ago #550774 by Ruth
Linrae, are you having a hard time in the lock-down? In the midst of chaos, there may not even be an outcome yet.
Shall we have a discussion thread devoted to the frustrations of all this?

More
4 years 1 month ago #550776 by Live4cows

Ruth wrote: Linrae, are you having a hard time in the lock-down? In the midst of chaos, there may not even be an outcome yet.
Shall we have a discussion thread devoted to the frustrations of all this?

I'll say, geez!

More
4 years 1 month ago #550778 by linrae
The question was to Sue
""However, the weights for 5 animals came through yesterday, though no actuals and pricing just yet. The bull went over 400 kg cw, the 3 cows averaged in the high 300 kgs and the 20 month heifer 270kgs. So I expect the 'missing' cow will go trimmer and be possibly over 300kg and the R4 would be lower 300's so we shall wait and see! ""

Has the missing cow turned up at the works
See Sues original posting 550631 Realise she got update from works but how did each animal show as works supposed to do
That was the question

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #550782 by Sue
Well, like you I'm waiting!

Actually the money is in the bank $7551.35, for 5 animals, but as yet no paper evidence in the mail or emailed to say weights and grades so I don't really know. A call to the agent says he knows the bull went around $2000 and the 20 month heifer @$1300. The average weight for 3 cows was 342kgs so it means she was there and the 3 cows must have returned about $1400. each at around $4.00/kg

So, I still wait for the breakdown of grades and price/kg with interest!

I actually wrote to NAIT and asked if they could take the missing cows' number off my registered list as there was no way I could get rid of her myself. I suppose I could say she died, which was true, but that is not the point! When I tried to "create a movement' to the works it came up with a message in red to say the works will do that! Yeah right.

I suggested she had worn two tags for 10 years-why would they 'both fall off in the truck' Her management tag also has our AHB number printed on it as well as our stud name and her individual number. I told NAIT the works is the weak link after all the efforts the farmer puts in to tag, record, replace if necessary and fill out the paperwork and they should be able to reconcile cows delivered, tags read and if one isn't read, or is missing, make more of an effort to balance the result. If she had been a TB reactor or had some major fault on veterinary inspection would they bother to check if the tag was unread or missing or could they identify the animal any other way!?

This is NAITS reply,

While the animal may have kept its NAIT tag in for 10 years - it is likely that during this time it has been weathered and aged and a slight knock against the stock truck had caused it to come out or break.

I understand that you put a lot of effort into making sure that you comply with your legal obligations, however, sometimes these things are out of our hands. Unfortunately, tags get lost and fall out sometimes.

What we can do is mark the animal as dead manually. If you are happy for me to do this, I can mark the animal as slaughtered and it will remove it from your NAIT number?

Ah well, I suppose I should be thankful that a) we were able to get the animals to the works quickly and before the price dropped even more and that in the end it seems to have worked out OK!
It is these little things which are set to infuriate us all when cabin fever sets in and systems that should work, dont!

Sue
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Sue.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550783 by Ruth

Sue wrote: While the animal may have kept its NAIT tag in for 10 years - it is likely that during this time it has been weathered and aged and a slight knock against the stock truck had caused it to come out or break. ...

I'd say bullshit to that reply! NAIT is shit for those of us who do everything to comply. People who don't bother also don't bother to follow things up like this and thus lead happier lives. It's tempting ...

AND THEN THERE WAS MICOPLASMA BOVIS!!!!!!

More
4 years 1 month ago #550784 by Sue
Ruth- exactly!

Sue

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds