This might be the time to try...

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550511 by kate
...this lock down is for some people a chance to start something new. Maybe finally start on writing that novel, master a language or get fit. Or just find new favourite things...

I thought it might help if we shared a few ideas. I've been a fan of No Such Thing as a Fish podcasts for many years and if you like intelligent, irreverent humour with your facts I suggest you try them. B) B)

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550513 by 16 Paws
I’m trying to get a sourdough starter started. Partly triggered by a short supply of yeast that I need to conserve for hot cross buns. Any advice welcomed. Particularly if anyone has successfully used a sourdough recipe in a bread maker.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550515 by kate
I have mastered sour dough but was given a starter and don't have a bread maker so can't help but I can confirm it's worth it!

Web Goddess

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550517 by Stikkibeek
You can make your own yeast out of both potato and Kumara. I can't find the recipe book I have these in, but a search of the internet found this which requires a dried yeast but should be able to be adapted. Kumara bread

And you could use with potato yeast which i also found on the internet. Potato yeast

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550522 by kate
For an addictive little timewasting game try www.puzzgrid.com/

Web Goddess

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550655 by Baroque
I hope you've got your sourdough starter working by now. It does take a few days to get going, so be patient with it.

I use whatever flour I can get hold of for sourdough baking. Normal recipe is to put 1 cup flour and use warm water to mix into a thick paste. I keep mine in a pyrex jug covered with clingfilm or beeswax wrap. You may find by adding a bit of sugar to the water that it helps to kick off the fermentation and once this is going half of the sourdough should be used daily and then you feed the remainder with more flour and water and move it to a fresh clean jug. I use the old one to get more flavour into the bread by adding warm water to the jug and use it when I mix up the bread.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550660 by 16 Paws
The starter looks ready, so I’ll be trying the first loaf over the weekend. Just a matter of sorting out timing. I’m not used to planning so far ahead when it comes to cooking. I’ll start with a regular basic Loaf. Maybe explore bread maker versions later.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #550686 by 16 Paws
I’m happy with the results. Making the bread itself actually seemed a lot less fuss than regular bread making. And very tasty.
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #550696 by Hawkspur
I did an inventory of our food and other essentials in the cupboards and freezer so we can be a bit more efficient about only shopping when necessary. It turns out we have 17 types of flour/meal on hand, although some are quite small quantities, like the arrowroot, and linseed meal.

Other than that I am keeping a sketchbook to hand and occasionally having a go at a quick sketch of a person onscreen. Trying to draw a moving person is a challenge. Someone standing at a lectern at least tends to be in the same lighting and position for a bit. so the daily update presentations from the government are a chance to be creative!

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds