Covid-19

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550601 by Kilmoon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550604 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Covid-19

Web Goddess

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550605 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Covid-19
Kilmoon, if you're really sorry about boring us all with your rants...
The following user(s) said Thank You: VioletFarmer

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550607 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Covid-19
"However, with the strictest suppression measures, which the country [NZ] has adopted, the fatalities would drop to just 0.0004%. Hospital capacity would not be exceeded for over a year. These measures included physical distancing, case isolation, household quarantine, and closing schools and universities and would require the restrictions to remain in place until a vaccine or other treatment was developed.

However, researchers noted such strategies can “delay but not prevent the epidemic”.

“When controls are lifted after 400 days, an outbreak occurs with a similar peak size as for an uncontrolled epidemic,” the researchers wrote."

This is a quote also from the Guardian, see below
www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/ne...0-modelling-suggests

So the good news is we may have less than 20 deaths. The bad news is that to achieve that they anticipate lockdown to continue for 400 days that is over 13 months, and when lockdown is lifted, the disease will re-emerge. How on earth is an entire nation going to sit on its hands for over a year, only for it to be in a similar situation as before?

I've seen plenty of support for the lockdown. What I haven't seen is any strategy to lift it. We've been told a month, but wage supplements have been paid for 3 months. The government has asked businesses to go into hibernation so they can re-emerge after the crisis but has given no indication of when that is likely to be. So businesses are supposed to sit there month after month, racking up bills for rent, leases, interest, tax payments, bad debts etc for an undefined period on the off chance that all will suddenly become "normal" when the lockdown is lifted. Most will have to cut their losses after a couple of months, so when we emerge the cafe's will be gone, the malls and other shops will be empty and all the local businesses will be closed down. I don't think people appreciate how bad the cure is going to be.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kilmoon

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550608 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Covid-19

I don't think people appreciate how bad the cure is going to be.

Anakei, they either don't want to, or simply can't, get it. The ones I've talked to are not yet ready to understand that the world they knew financially (employment, taxes, rates, consumer good prices, travel domestic or international) has gone; it went out the window back in January (or really November if we think of when it hit China). It's never ever coming back. The ones with kids are usually the worst, they're clinging to the hope that their kids have a future - um, nope.

It is simply beyond most people's comprehension as to how stuffed we all are economically. Or the koolaid of "be nice" is their life raft which they're going to cling to. I literally can't understand why people can't see the economic network unravelling - no amount of govt $ is bringing it back.

I see Stuff are softening us all up for being in a lockdown for the rest of the year. Yeah, I can just see businesses starting up after that as if it had never happened. Though the 3 month wage subsidy is the obvious clue as to how long the govt was initially thinking.

www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavi...completely-heres-how

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550609 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Covid-19
Try and find Bill Gates speech 2015

He said we will have a virus within 10 years

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #550615 by linrae
See if you can find Bill Gates speech You Tube 2015

Shows how stupid man can be
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by linrae. Reason: didnt work

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550616 by linrae

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550617 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Covid-19
Thanks for that - I hadn’t heard that TED talk before. My “good” news is that my husband’s swab result is negative. It means that he doesn’t have Covid but he isn’t getting any immunity from having it. This means that I can go back to work next week but have to change clothes at work, undress in the garage when I get home and immediately have a shower - we don’t have an accessible shower at work. This is to protect him from me bringing the virus home - he is on immunosuppressants. As it moves closer to the flu season his risk of being ill increases.
Due to my job I have been aware of the ever increasing risk of pandemics and have been telling patients to have at least 1/12 of meds at home for emergencies - the number who call up for a repeat script once their meds have run out is really frustrating especially as they expect the script to be ready for collection within a couple of hours. I am hoping this virus will shake up peoples’ thought processes about keeping well, having enough meds (or/and actually using them) and having the flu vaccine every year. Fingers crossed :)

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550620 by Mudlerk
Thank you Kilmoon...for offering some thought-provoking discussion points. I agree that the economic network is unravelling. I would argue though, that it's the way we've been behaving...dog eat dog, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and so forth that is stuffed -- That doesn't mean our kids have no future; simply it's going to be different.
Changing is the most painful thing I know...and we're in for a lot of pain. Wish I were younger, so I could see how it all shakes down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: terralee, muri

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550622 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Covid-19
That's good news about your husband ZummersetGirl B)

Mulerk I'm interested in what our new normality will be and agree that I hope it's more compassionate and fair.

Web Goddess

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550630 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Covid-19
I'm interested in what people think will be the new normal is as well!

I think the biggest result will be a sharp check on "globalisation" It has come as a rude reminder to Western countries that they have outsourced their manufacturing capacity to China - including most of our medical supplies. I can see a push towards manufacturing essential items locally, not just us but other Western countries as well.
One other thing this emergency has done is expose how countries, in spite of their trade agreements, will always put themselves first when push comes to shove and halt the supply of essential goods.
I think we will move to a more austere and expensive time - think the 1950's. No foreign travel, local holidays, less consumerism, higher taxes

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550646 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Covid-19
Hi Anakei. I agree with you that times will be tougher but those who control Wall Street and think money is the only commodity worth worrying about will soon reappear and we will once again be on the treadmill of making money to let the richer get richer. Humans never learn from history as this pandemic proves. Yes, I am getting cynical in my maturity.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #550652 by Mudlerk
Some southeastern countries do appear to have learned and geared up, following their recent MERS epidemic. It's a lot harder to do so where the first hurdle for any innovation is the financial profit motive, and the United States is still struggling with this. We didn't tool up either, but at least we seem to have managed a shorter-than-average stay in the 'denial' phase. Personally, I must admit I was pooh-poohing the doom merchants up to a few weeks ago. For once, they were right!
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Mudlerk.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #550667 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Covid-19
Apparently lawn mowing is an essential service. You can travel 1.5hour from out of the immediate area to do it! That's great, isn't it.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds